Replacing the Barrel in my 1911A1

Coolray

I was told there is a barrel for the 1911 that eliminates the barrel bushing. How does it work? Is it an improvment? If I change barrels do I need to do anything to the gun to make sure the fit is correct or will it just drop in and continue to shoot well.
What is the style of barrel so I could ask for it and get the right thing or if anyone has an online place to get the right one. My current barrel is just fine and the gun shoots great.

It would be a cone barel, I'd guess. The slide would require some machining at the muzzle end for the cone to fit corectly. You will ahve to change the recoil spring and guide set up so they will stay in place. No bushing and recoil spring cap to hold the spring in place, remember.

I don't know if there is any real advantage to the system over a properly fitted standard barrel or not.

The cone/bull barrel eliminates the need for a bushing, but you will have to machine the slide to take a reverse plug to contain the recoil spring. I have a bull barrel on my SVI and have noticed that it helps tame recoil somewhat, and I think that it improves the balance of the pistol. I have also heard that it can improve accuracy somewhat, but I can't find any proof. Also, it makes disassembly more difficult, as you need a small tool to restrain the recoil spring on the guide rod to allow you to remove the guiderod and reverse plug.

Back