Replacing scope on Savage 110 .30-06. Suggestions?

NXMR

Hi all.

I'm going to replace the 3-9x40 scope on my Savage .30-06.

I'm down to a Nikon, either the ProStaff 4-12x40 or the Buck Master 4.5-14/40.

My eyes aren't great so I'd like the extra magnification of the 4.5-14 vs the 4-12. Then again, my wallet isn't too fat so I like the Pro Staff's price a little better.

One thing that I'm concerned about is the recoil knocking the scope off center. Is the Buck Master better at 'hanging on' through recoil, or is it just a matter of properly securing the scope (Loctite, etc.)?

I'm kinda new to rifles still so any help appreciated! I plan on deer hunting next season with this rifle and its new scope.

Any advice appreciated!

Last edited:
Nikon Prostaff is a good scope. I have 3X9 on my .257 weatherby. For the price and it's clarity you can't go wrong. Good luck!

I have a Pro Staff that I love as well, a 2-7x32mm on a 336C 30-30. That being said, the Buckmaster line is better. It is worth the extra money without a doubt. Every time I look through one, I see where that extra $50 is going. The Buckmaster's glass is as clear & bright as their Monarch line, IMO.

I have the Nikon Buckmaster with 40mm objective lens and BDC recticles on my 7mm Mag, and am looking at the Nikon Monarch with 50mm objective and BDC for my 25-06.

Not sure if you got the base and rings figured out yet but keep in mind your savage 110 is a long action and the scope bases are pretty far apart requiring a long scope tube mounting length. More so on the savage 110 than some other long action rifles because of the distance between the factory bases on this particular rifle. Your scope choices of 4x12 and 4.5x15 scopes don't normaly have as much usable mounting length on the tube compared to most 3x9x40 scopes. So to solve this and make it so you can mount any scope you want all you need to do is get a one piece base that lets you mount your rings closer together. I ran into this on my savage 110 so hopefuly this saves you the trouble.

I agree that the Savage 110 platform has a lot of distance between the scope bases. It's a long action, much longer than it might need to be. That said, I've got one, my go-to rifle is a 110 in .30-06. Great rifle that I abuse regularly. It's on its second stock because I dropped it from a tree stand and broke the first stock completely off the rifle.

I've got a Weaver K6 on that rifle and it's probably perfect for my hunting area. But, I had to use extended bases and rings to mount the scope properly.

Dunno why you feel that you need more scope. I found by experience with my own 3x9 that 3X was plenty good for a clean kill at 350 yards. Basically, 3X is for most hunting; 9X is for sighting in so I don't need a spotting scope to see the bullet holes in the target. :)

Even with tri-focals and cataracts I was getting one MOA off the bench with a K4. (After "Cadillac" surgery, I can even see iron sights! :D)

Anyhow, I'd pretty much figure that any scope in the $200 range will tolerate the recoil of an '06. Almost any non-el-cheapo mounts will work, from Weaver on up.

I put a Buckmaster 4.5-14 mil dot on my stevens 200(Same as the 110) the tube is just long enough to get the eye relief right for me. If you can swing the $$$ the buckmaster is worth it.

PawPaw my savage 110 30-06 is my goto rifle as well. I used a one piece mount, weaver rings and a weaver 3x9x40 scope. I still have the savage plastic stock on it and plan on leaving it that way because I don't get all teary eyed when I ding it up in the woods plus it's really light. I did add a hi-viz x-coil recoil pad to it that fits nicely and is much more comfortable than the factory pad. I sure love this rifle. The accutrigger works really nicely for me and the rifle is very accurate. Not to mention it's light and I use a comfortstretch sling so lugging it around is a breeze. Everyone who shoots this rifle absolutely loves it. I highly recommend these.

I'd like to add that I've tryed a few different scopes on my savage 110 30-06 and I didn't like the larger power scope for hunting at all. It ruined the balance of the rifle and was just big and clunky. After going all gung ho for a high power scope I realized it was a hassle and kind of blurry on the highest settings, I would have to stop and focus it, things I never had to do with a 3x9x40. This was a hassle. So I got a better 3x9x40 scope than the cheepo one the rifle originaly came with and put that on and couldn't be happier. If you still have the original scope your rifle came with keep in mind they use the cheepest scopes they can find and they lack clarity compared to better scopes. You will probably be happy with a better 3x9x40. Try a couple out in the store in the $200ish range and you might be happy with what you find. One more thing on the higher power scopes. I found that when I'm hunting the last thing I want to do is mess around with settings on the scope. Missed opportunities because of a poor scope choice would be a really bad day. Good luck.

I know it isn't on your short list, but you might want to look at Redfield Revolution scopes. I have one in 2-7 x32 and it is great.

You referred to the effect of recoil on the optic...
Two issues here, not sure which one (or both) you're concerned about.

Recoil will drive the rifle backwards, while the scope tries to stay in the same place. That's slippage, and if the rings are properly aligned, of good quality, and tightened to spec, the scope will not move forward in the rings under recoil. A dab of blue loctite inside the rings helps a bit as well...

The other possibility is that inexpensive (and sometimes expensive ones, too) just fail under the recoil of high-power centerfires like the 30.06 and large magnums. Not likely with any of the scopes you're looking at.

Even with aging eyes and bifocals, I think I would opt for a 2x-7x or 1.5x-6x were I to rescope my '06. I have a Vari-X III 3.5x-10x-50mm and like it, though it is huge, but am sure I would be better off with a lower low magnification and not miss the high end traded to get it.

What I have found as I age is that I have an ever increasing appreciation of larger exit pupils (objective diameter ÷ magnification,) another benefit of lower magnifications.

I have both the Prostaff and Buckmaster in 3x9. I can't really tell the difference between the two. I can tell the difference on my Monarchs though. If I were to do it again and had a low budget, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Prostaff. I have had one on my beat up truck 30-06 for years and I have seen many MANY hogs die looking through it.

Check out vortex optics. The diamond back line up is very nice for the price. It beats any other scope i have seen around the $200 price mark.

Ditto for me Bacardisteve, I have the Diamondback, 4x12x40, it sucks more light and it's magnification tops the Weaver,40-44, and the new Redfield evolution 4x12x40, by a far margin...;)
I'm going to purchase the Diamondback in 4x12 x 40 AO, for my varmit rifle.:)

I would Mount a Leupold VX 2 3x9x40 on it.
The Savage 110 configuration puts your eye pretty far back from the scope, the eye relief will make the rifle more comfortable, and I think the Leupold would hold its setting better than the Nikon.JMO

Back