Replacing Savage 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor

ninosdemente

I took advantage of the last sale at Cabelas for the Savage 12FV for $319. I have been having difficulties with the bolt as it is stiff and put close to 350 rounds already and now its really starting to get annoying when opening and closing bolt. Granted I like it... just getting frustrated. Granted for that price I am not expecting butter smooth action but I do have another Savage 12FV in .223, no problem with that rifles action. Way better than the 6.5 creedmoor. It was my fault as when I purchased it online and went to pick it up, did feel the stiffness but due to lack of experience I just really thought it was me. Well next time it won't happen and will definitely not take it on next buy.

I was looking to getting rid of it and seeing what I would get at Cabelas for it. I did purchase an aftermarket chasis (Oryx) but I can use that on the other .223 just have to get the correct magazines for it.

Is there a fix to this? The stiffness feels more in the middle of the action.

If I do go the first route, what can I get to replace it? Up to now I have $400 saved. Not much but have been getting reloading supplies and saved $ just gets getting smaller and smaller, lol. Possibly wait until there is another sale and get another again.

I am looking for threaded if possible, heavy barrel and do like the long barrel the 12FV has. I guess other rifles may be better in accuracy, but frankly I don't have a clue where to start.

Thanks in advanced.

Midway sells a bolt raceway "lapping" tool.
Essentially attaches a piece of sandpaper, and lets you sand down any rough spots in the raceway.
They have a video on doing this. Not hard at all. Just make sure you clean well after.

It doesn't take much to create pressure on a bolt.

Before you give up on your 12 FV .223, You might check the following.
1) One of your scope mount screws might be protruding into the bolt space.
Also magazines, both hidden and detachable can create the same problem.
2) The hidden mag rear clip on the factory stock can be loose and allow the hidden mag to impede the bolt.
3) Also a detachable mag's bottom metal on the Oryx chassis can allow the magazine to mount too high and impede the bolt.
If the bolt operates poorly on both the factory stock an Oryx chassi, I would remove the scope and loosen the screws on the scope mount to see if the bolt operates better. If

I also have the same rifles in .223 and 6.5mm Creedmoor and they are my two best shooting rifles. No bolt issues with either of them.
I have 5 other Savages and the two cheap 12 FVs shoot the best for overall average.

I also put the Oryx chassis on both and they improved accuracy by 18% for the .223 and 12 % for the 6.5 over the factory plastic stock.

Just for grins, I tried 77 gr Sierra SMKs and TMKs in the 12 FV .223 even though they are not supposed to stablilize in a 1:9 twist. The 77 gr bullets are the best shooting bullets of all the bullets I have tried with the TMKs and SMKs averaging under 0.3 inches for 5-round groups and just under 0.2 with the 77 grain bullets. I never would have believed that.

std7mag, thanks will check it out.

------

Rimfire5, yeah I went through that process on another thread.
1. I check to see if it does and tried to feel with finger and no protruding of screws.
2. Will check for that.
3. Stiff with or without magazine.

Haven't ventured in going past 69gr. Wonder how many people venture out in experimenting as yourself.

------

Someone had suggested polishing the bolt. Haven't tried that. At this point I will try almost anything to try and avoid selling for cheaper and getting something different more money. I have been enjoying the 6.5 CM and hate to get rid of it. Plus more fun for me as I am not fond of the .223 as it still has the factory stock and top load is bothering me. Just haven't found another chasis and trying to stay away from getting another Oryx chassis.

I had purchased a Savage 10T in 6mm Creedmoor. When I purchased it I was told to bring it in if I have any problems with it. They have gun smiths on sight. Take it in it could be some thing simple for them to fix.

So I just got off the phone with Savage and they said to package it and send it to them along with a note stating what the problem is. I asked about turn around time and they said they try within 3 weeks.

I did that a coupla years ago and it took 3 months to get the rifle back from
Savage. I sent it back in June of that year and got it back in September.

Yeah, I don't buy it either. I sent out a hand gun from S&W and took them a couple of months. Guess will wait after this weekend to send it out. At least want to get another range day before I don't see it for a couple of months. Lol. Would rather send it during winter but can't wait as they only have 1 year of warranty?

I sent my 12 LRP back with a tight chamber and they bored it out about 2 thousandths and got it back to me within three weeks.

The time they take will probably depend on how well you can describe the problem and how much work it takes to repair it.

I sent pictures showing pressure signs with data on the loads shot.
It didn't take them long to agree with me and ask me to send the rifle back.
All they had to do was to bore out the chamber a bit.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I understand I won't be the only one trying to get something repaired or others may have more repair than others. That is why I want to get at least one more range day with this rifle as if it does take 3 weeks or month(s) I will just have to wait. At least I have others to use. When I sent out the hand gun, it was my first and only at that time and sucked as I didn't have anything else for range.

Thanks for the tip on a detail note.

From curiosity, when I chamber in a round I do notice scratches around the tip. Only on one side. I load to book specs. Would this be a good enough reason to mention it as well?

Take pictures of any scratches on brass, It might be that is also exacerbating the binding up.
(But it also could simple mean that your hand loads are not concentric.)
Tell them if the bolt is binding up even without a round in the mag.
That will help them troubleshoot the problem.
Send the Savage back in the factory stock.

Shoot a factory round or two and see if the scratches are on the factory brass as well. Take photos if they are. (That will eliminate the possibility of non-concentric hand loads.)

Savage, like all gun manufacturers, tend to believe data with factory rounds more than hand loads, because we all know some hand loaders that cause real problems for rifles since they don't have your knowledge or loading discipline.

Using both hand loads and factory rounds to show the same problem will help convince them that you have done the research and are worth listening to.

Print up all your data and observations, including pictures and send it in the box, so the person who works on your rifle get all the info you sent.
Giving them documentation of what you have identified will probably save you several days in delays while they chase down possible causes.

How will they tell or believe what is factory ammo and what is my load other than providing my load data sheet?

I have shot factory ammo (Hornady American Gunner) and those in deed along with my loaded ammo show the same scratch. The factory ammo hasn't been reloaded yet. The loaded ammo I have is from new brass. Thanks for the help.

Seems like I may need to get another box of factory ammo to retest and take pictures.

nino
Sorry to hear your still having problems with your bolt , sure sounds like the raceway . Send it back to Savage , most likely it's a quick fix but once they have it they'll give it a overall check . The quicker you sent it the quicker you'll have it back . Don't sweat the small stuff , let them fix it .

Chris

cw308, thanks. Yeah still bugging. I am going to send it for sure, just have to find a big enough box. Unfortunately threw the original out.

Front chassis bolt is probably over torqued. I had same issue on my 223 12fv and backed it off 5inch lbs and bitter smooth

Makes sense give it a try , pretty simple . Loosen them up alittle an see how it goes . Takes 2 minutes .

The action screws should be able to be torqued to 45 inch pounds with no issues.

5 would mean a problem somewhere else that is being compensated for. Might work for a 223 but larger rifles would not be consistent with that low a number.

Back