Replacing Rem. 870 cheesy locking safety

La Migra

Inactive
I want to replace the crappy locking safety on my Rem. 870 Express Magnum and I have heard that "Vang Comp" has a "big head" safety for it. What does this safety look like and what are the improvements over a normal safety(besides the fact that it won't have an annoying keyed lock)? Also, is this safety easily installed? I have already sent them an e-mail inquiring about it...
Thanks.

I simply bought the old style replacement parts from Brownells.
They dropped right into my Express. Fit and function seems to be perfect. I have been unable to find a way to make it malfunction.
The same is not true of the factory issue PC safety. :cool:

La Migra, the Vang Comp safety is a nice safety. All my 870's have it. It is easy to install.

The main benefit is the large head that allows you to easily remove it. With some practice you can easily click off your safety as you are acquiring the trigger with your trigger finger. With the standard old safety it is more like two distinct movements--safety off, then acquire trigger. I hope that helps.

Guyon, do the safeties from Wilson come with the detent spring and detent? If so, is it the ball bearing detent or older-style pin detent?

AA Shooter,

The safeties come with neither. I simply used the existing detent and spring on my shotguns. Both function fine.

Which choke to get for turkey and which for duck's. It will have the Remchoke in it. That 28 inch should do long beard in with the right choke.

I'd think Improved Cylinder for upland game, probably Modified for ducks (with steel shot), and X-tra Full for them turkey birds.

The important thing is to pattern your gun at hunting distances and know what each choke and shot selection is going to do BEFORE you hit the hunting fields.

Brownell's also carry a Scattergun Tech big head safety. The last time I looked so did Williams Gun Sights and I think, Uncle Mikes'. Probably made by the same outfit.

These safetys will fit the 870, 1100, 11-87, and the Remington pump and auto rifles. Probably will fit some Remington .22's also.

Back