Replacing recoil springs

Coronach

I recently purchased a heavier recoil spring for my BHP. Wolff shipped the recoil spring as a package with a firing pin spring. Do I need to replace BOTH the recoil spring and the firing pin spring, or can I do one independent of the other?

Might seem like a dumb question, but its better to ask than to break something. :)

Thanks,
Mike

Hello. IF your HP is a MkIII or one of the latter MkII pistols with the firing pin lock, the Wolff replacement firing pin spring is not needed. I use the 18.5 lb Wolff recoil spring and have fired many rounds from pre-firing pin safety models without so much as a dented primer. I cannot comment on how safe it is or isn't on springs heavier than the springs I've used. Best.

Hello. I can only state that ejected cases don't go nearly so far with the heavier spring than the standard so the rearward slide velocity is less. It seems logical to infer that it's striking the frame with less force. I also use a shok buff from Buffer Technology in my HPs as I shoot pretty warm loads much of the time. I feel sure that the heavier recoil spring "helps" in this regard, but don't know how much.

Best.

I'm using mine so that it will strip rounds out of a SA 17rnd mag more reliably. Preliminary report: it seemed to feed better in 'non-live-fire' conditions...that would be me sitting on the sofa putting dummy rounds through it, cycling the action by hand. It only hung up once. Still, though, there is a noticable 'slowness' to how readily the slide snaps back into battery when the 17rnd mags are loaded full up.

Range report to follow.

Mike

Back