Replacing non-dovetailed sights

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Stoopid question time...

My Springfield V10 has a Novak adjustable (for windage) rear sight, but a swaged front sight. There's no dovetail up front because of the ports. Problem is, I want different sights.

Is it possible or advisable to remove/replace the front sight without sending my baby away to a smith?

I don't recommend "DIY" on this. Getting the sight off is easy; putting the new one on can be tricky.

Jim

What you have is a staked in front sight. If you field strip the weapon and shine a light up in the bottom of the slide, you'll see the bottom of the tennon that sticks through the slide.
In essence, it's a friction fit. The sight is fit through the rectangular hole, and then a special tool is used to spread the metal out to fill the hole, but not allow it to rattle loose.
It takes a special tool, appropriately called a front sight staking tool! You can get one from Brownells, but the whole operation is really something that should be left to an experienced smith or armorer, as they should already have the tools to do the job with 100% reliability. It'd be a real shame to end up scratching your slide or worse for a learning curve!!!
My smith charges a flat rate, $40, for a sight set install new/remove old, no matter the configuration. This includes sighting in to your specs with 20 rounds of whichever self defense ammo you specify! For that money, there's no reason for me to buy the tools.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Wake up and realize that you have the moral imperative of action..!!!

Back