replacing my stock..?

kuca_2004

I have never replaced a stock on a rifle..so my question is..If I want to get a different stock for my weatherby rifle can I only used stocks made for weatherby or will any brand of stock mount on the rifle??

The new stock you choose does not have to be a "used" stock from another rifle.

Most all stock makers make stocks for a multitude of rifles and they will make one to fit your rifle. All you need to do is make sure you know the exact specifications of your rifle (model #, standard or bull barrel, long action or short action). There may be some minor fitting required as your barreled action may be slightly different than the stock action the company uses, but it is not difficult. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, the fitting can usually be done with sandpaper, files or a dremmel.

Their are a lot of options out there when it comes to aftermarket stocks. If you let us know what you are looking for (solid wood, laminate, synthetic, thumb hole, benchrest, etc), people will surely be able to provide some more guidance as to where to look.

Thank you jay24bal. Well I have the Weatherby Vanguard Varmint rifle in 22-250. I am looking to get a new laminated or synthetic stock. Any good places you recommend?

Budget? What type of stock is on it now? And what do you expect to gain by changing stocks?

My normal advice is to either keep what you have, or go all the way and get a quality synthetic like McMillan, MPI, Brown Precision etc. Most of the time folks just spend money for what is at best a lateral move, often a step down compared to factory.

It would be extremely rare for a different stock to be any more accurate. If it is then your current stock has fit issues that could be corrected. Most folks want to change because they don't like the looks or fit of the factory stock. Some want a heavier stock to make it easier to shoot, others want lighter to carry in the mountains.

The laminated stocks from www.boydsgunstocks.com are well regarded and among the cheapest options. They are HEAVY. Weatherby rifles are the heaviest rifles made so the combination is going to be very heavy. If that is what you want, a good choice.

The B&C Medalist stocks are a decent synthetic alternative for around $260. They will be about the same weight as a factory stock, but much lighter than laminated wood. If I weren't going to go big and get a McMIllan, I'd choose this over Laminated wood.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-460/Bell-&-Carlson-Medalist™/Detail

McMillan probably offers the most options in a better quality stock www.mcmfamily.com They are much better than the other options, but much more expensive. The standard weight stocks will be a bit over $500, the lightweight Kevlar stocks (Edge) just over $600.

When ordering you need to know several things. Is it a Weatherby Vanguard or one of the MK-V's? They use a different stock. Long action or short action? Most 22-250's are short. Barrel contour? Is it a standard weight sporter barrel or a heavy varmit barrel.

Any good places you recommend?

Everything JMR said rings true to me .

I can not speak to synthetic stocks as every time I have replaced a stock it has been to get rid of synthetic as I prefer the weight of the laminate stock since most of my rifles are just used at the range due to the laws here and being limited to only shotguns for deer hunting. The only rifle I hunt with is a .223 for coyotes and even then I still went laminate as you are not stalking coyotes.

For my stocks, I usually turn to Boyds' as I really like the shape of their Prairie Hunter stock with the raised cheek rest. I have always found the fit to be very good and rarely will it require any fitting. I feel like it is the best value around as most of their stocks are under $100.

I have used Stocky's Stocks before and also like their work.

The reality is unless you know someone who has a specific stock on their gun that you can hold and see, most of the time you will be buying sight unseen. It is a matter of deciding what features/specs are most important to you and then buying the one that seems to align most closely to that.

I have no experience with higher end/custom stocks, so I have nothing to offer there. Once you have narrowed down your choices and clearly defined what you are looking to gain, others will surely be able to give more guided advice.

For my stocks, I usually turn to Boyds' as I really like the shape of their Prairie Hunter stock with the raised cheek rest. I have always found the fit to be very good and rarely will it require any fitting. I feel like it is the best value around as most of their stocks are under $100.

I concur. I really like the Prairie-Hunter and they also offer Walnut stocks which are much, much lighter than the laminate.

Back