Replacing Mosin Nagant Handguard Springs

boostedtt91

I just picked up my 2nd mosin nagant on black friday. Yesterday i took it out and actually put 30-40 rounds for the first time and then i noticed that my top handguard had slid all the way to the muzzle.

The bottom spring doesn't seem to be really popping out enough to hold the ring in place under recoil. Also the lower ring is VERY hard to slide down the stock, kinda like its the wrong one for the rifle. You pretty much have to use a punch and pound it down into place and the same to remove. I can't move it by hand until its pretty much over the top spring which shouldn't be happening.
So the first question is it possible to remove the springs in the stock that hold the rings in place and how do you remove them. If its that tight on the stock i wouldn't think the handguard should slide. So it must of lost its spring tension.

What he said ^^^

I had mine mostly re-assembled and realized it was feeling funny. I took a step back and realized I had mixed em up. Check that out and then try to bend em back. They have been working for longer then any of us have been around, I don't see why it would fail now....

Back