Replacing extractor in Remington 700 VS

I need to replace the extractor in my Remington 700 Varmint Special in .223. It's the non-pin type extractor. It looks easy but I thought I'd ask around first. Has anyone else done it before? I have two extracors coming from Remington.

If I can ask, how did the extractor fail? Did it break all at once or gradually provide poorer and poorer extraction?
The reason for my curiosity is that I have a Model 700 with thousands and thousands of rounds through it and would like to know what signs to look for. Thanks.

It started to leave a few rounds in the chamber and would only partially extract a few rounds after 1400 rounds.

I have a Rem 700 in 308 that needed a new extractor after about 2000 rounds.

It seems like extractors are the weak point in the 700's. On the other side of the coin, accuracy is the strong point. The little Varmint Special that currently needs an extractor has shot a 3/4" 5 shot group at 200 yards. I got 3rd in a sniper match with it sunday. I'm wondering if I would have got 1st if I didn't have to fight with a couple of rounds that didn't completely extract.

Patrick, it's really quite simple but I hope I can explain it correctly. You position the extractor where it should be and get as much of it as you can in it's recess. Then use a thin screwdriver to carefully pry/roll it over and into the bolt face. George

Back