Replacing a frame mounted firing pin.

SIGSHR

I have a Security Industries of America revolver that needs a new firing pin. Factory parts are non-existent, it seems to me a pin and spring for a Ruger could be made to fit. Any thoughts, any cautions ?

Security Industries has been gone since 1978. Apparently only in business for a few years. Lotta the same question on the assorted forums. QC was supposed to be really bad with a lot of 'em being shot to pieces quickly.
Alleged to be Smith M60 copies. Rumoured that those parts can be fitted. A 60's hammer nose runs $12.95 at Gunparts. Sold out, of course. Suspect that any 'J' frame part will do. Absolute WHAG though.
Try Bob's Gun Shop Inc. http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/

Massad Ayoob was impressed with the SIA revolvers but he noted the owner had financial problems which led to labor and QC problems. The rifling is practically straight on mine and I have encountered keyholing.
I found the firing pin and spring, what I need is the recoil plate, will probably try Ye Olde Home Gunsmith's method of finding a suitable piece of steel and filing to fit.

Unless there is some factor here I don't see, there would seem little point in going to a lot of trouble to make a part for a gun that will only need another part made after a few shots. Save the money and time to buy a good used Ruger or other quality gun.

Jim

I bought it because as a New Jersey resident I liked the idea of a firearm made here-hey, the Paterson Colts were made here. And as a home "gunsmith" I figure the best way to learn-and practice-is on firearms you don't depend on.

I have a Security Industries revolver too and I need a firing pin. Where did you find your firing pin?
Could you please take a pic and measurements of it? I may be able to make one.

Last edited:
There is a fellow member of this site that makes those sort of things. I never used his service, but he sounds like he is keenly aware of his craft.

I hope I am not breaking any rule. His "handle" is DeShivs, maybe Bill, maybe some other first name.

And being from NJ, I understand and appreciate the effort you would put into a gun, that people from free states would simply sell and replace.

Good luck

Rich

if the old one is intact, xerox it.
Cut out the xerox.
Glue onto tool steel.
Drill hole. That is your reference point.
Have at it with a file.
Harden.
Temper.

I only do firing pins that I can fit to the gun. I do not have a Federal Firearms license, so I can't do frame- mounted firing pins- but thanks for the plug!

The Security Industries firing pin is frame mounted. Mine isn't broken, it's not there.
The firing pin spring and bushing/retainer is missing too.

I still need to find out what thread size the bushing/retainer is.

I'm also looking for a photo copy or a copy of the Security Industries warranty card, manual, parts list and parts drawing if any exist.

It's never easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back