Replacement Grips with Cartouche?

smd4

Inactive
Does anyone know of a manufacturer of replacement Colt 1860 Army grips with a cartouche? This would be for a Uberti.

In the alternative, does anyone make repro cartouche stamps/brands that I could burn into the existing grips myself?

I know you are into a repro revolver. Find a supplier and make your own.

It would probably be not much of a problem if money is no object.

I hope you aren't going to defarb it to make it into a faux original. I absolutely hate that. Even if it is a Pietta with all of the manufacturer markings in plain sight, leave it as a REPLICA. There are many people, including myself, that collect the replicas. There are many variances insofar as replicas and it is a realm all of its own.

There are enough people wanting to create faux originals without having someone else adding to the mix.

I hope I am reading you wrong.

Jim

Last edited:
Pietta used to make them, don't know if Uberti ever did. These were for a 58 Remington but they did Colt grips too.

grips.jpg

I hope I am reading you wrong.
Indeed you are. I have no interest in deceiving anybody. Since I can't afford the real thing, I'd like mine to look as authentic as possible.

That being said, it's my gun. If I wanted to defarb it, change the serial number to "1" and forge Sam Colt's signature in period ink inside the grip, you better damn well believe that is my right to do that.

@smd4,

Yes, everything is your prerogative when it comes to your gun. I am sorry if I offended you.

I have just seen so many C&B pistols on GB where the sellers have no clue as to what they have, and the buyers have no clue, either. And, when it comes to defarbed pistols, they can't even see where the Italian proof marks have been "erased".

Again, I don't want to offend you in what ever endeavor you pursue.

Apologies,

Jim

I defarbed and aged one for my own personal use. I did it to make it look more like an original I once had and wish I still did. Some people just don't like the Italian markings and want them as close to the originals as they can get. They have no intent to try to fool anybody. When it comes to antique guns you have to know what you're looking at because a lot of them aren't merely defarbed but deliberately faked. Just because somebody says it's original doesn't make it so.

Mine is a Uberti, and the manufacturer markings are under the loading lever, which is fine by me. The proof marks are so lightly stamped as to almost be invisible anyway.

Back