Replacement Eye Disks for Vernier Sights

ckpj99

I recently purchased a Springfield Model 1884 trapdoor. I came with a vernier sight (which is attached to the stock and not the tang, which is slightly worrying, but beside the point). It doesn't seem to have any brand marking, and actually looks pretty old. It also has a globe sight on the front, which the gun shop owner said is modern and that he added it to the gun because the front sight was completely missing.

Anyway, the aperture in the rear sight seems pretty big, and I'd like to have options when it comes to shooting it anyway. That being said I'd like too find a replacement, possibly one with an adjustable aperture. So how do I figure out what type of threads I have an what type of replacement will work.

I've included some pictures. I'd love to know more about it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Your tang is probly an old Pedersoli, or possibly a IAB...the eye cup you seek is called a "Hadley". If you take the cup to you local hardware you can figure out the thread by trying it in the "reference" cards they have..or just try several different nuts on it. It is almost positively metric.

But that being said I would ditch the tang vernier and get the original front sight put back on your fine rifle!

Your rear sight appears to be an original Buffington Christmas Tree sight...this is one of the best long range sights ever designed. The are very fast and work real well. Just find your target (and front sight) in the tree, transfer target/sight to tiny peep and BOOM..target hit:D

Freedom - thanks so much for the idea about referencing it at the hardware store. That's a great idea. I had seen the Hadley disk online, I just wasn't sure if it would match my threading.

In terms of using the stock sight, I think I will be for most of my shooting. I bottomed out the rear tang peep today, and it was still shooting very high at 50 yards (most of my shooting is at 50 and 100 yards). I was using the notch rear sight (the notch in the "christmas tree") with a regular post insert on my front globe and I was hitting really well. That being said, I'm not going to remove the rear tang peep because it would leave the stock looking a lot worse than it already does. I'll just do my close-up shooting with Buffington, and when I occasionally shoot out to longer ranges, I can use the other sight.

You could pull the pivot screw and leave the sight base in the inlet in the stock and shoot with the Buffington.

You could get a taller front globe sight to allow a zero with the peep.

Buffalo Arms has a variety of Hadley eye cups but they are rather expensive, so you had better know the thread before you order.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/hadley_eye_cups_pr-4084.aspx

The aperture may not be too large. I use either the largest or next to largest aperture on my Baldwin, depending on the daylight.

There is a different alternative that hasn't been mentioned. Fill the existing hole with an opaque, black epoxy putty or something & drill a smaller hole in it.
Its not adjustable I know.

Plan "B":D
Talk to someone at "Track Of The Wolf", arrange to send them your eyecup & they'll match it to something they have with the same thread & return it.:cool:

Jim - I can just fold my tang peep down and shoot through the Buffington. Thanks for that Buffalo Arms link. That will be helpful if I decide to splurge for a replacement.

....fold my tang peep down and shoot ...
You'll find that you can't get your hand around the wrist of the stock (and if
you do somehow, I can safely predict recoil will have you eating the ladder. Yuck :eek::mad:

Last time I looked, the tang sights fold forward also. Obviously ckpj99 is shooting with the buffington as well as the tang sight.

I have a Hadley eye cup that does not fit either of my tang sights. The idea of sending your sight to Track of the Wolf or Buffalo Arms to match the threads would be well worth the shipping unless you positively identify the thread pitch. I wish I had done a little more research before I ordered mine. :mad:

Back