Replace Mag Tube on 870?

BKinzey

Inactive
Oops, I think. So my story is in order to remove the dimples in the mag tube for a mag extension I used a socket to push the dents out. Worked fairly well but still needed a little more. A friend had used just a dremel on his so I tried that. Here's where the oops occurs. The plug sometimes sticks in the tube, as far as I can tell it's right where the grinding is. I can feel it's a little uneven in there but polishing isn't helping. I'm afraid to grind more because it may just get worse and too thin. If worse comes to worse I'll look into having a gunsmith replace the whole tube. What do you think I'm looking at cost wise and any suggestions?

One of the recommended methods of removing the dimples is to drill them out. This will leave holes in the tube. Therefore, I don't think that a little more light grinding/polishing will hurt., even if it thins the tube.

Replacing the magazine tube is best left to the factory. These are
brazed in place, and are a bear to remove and replace, without damaging the receiver.

My advice is to take a good look at the area, and either grind/polish more, or if it looks like it's getting thin over a large area, just drill the offending dimples out. The small holes in the tube will have no negative effect, nor will thinning the tube in the immediate area of the dimples. However, thinning the tube over a large area, or breaking through the tube in an area larger than the 3/16" drill bit holes would make, could cause shells to hang up.

Dfaris: On my 870 (SN: C911###X range), the mag tube stops cant be called dimples, they are big tabs pressed down into the tube, about 1/4" wide and 1/3" long (I'll check tonight and measure them) Are these the dimples you are talking about or did Remington change the design?

Kharn

That's what most of us are calling dimples. I went ahead and drilled them out and will be testing to see if the spring keeps hanging up. If I had to do it over again I'd drill them out first.

Back