repairing scratch

Not without extensive refinishing. The finish reflects the finish and even if you could perfectly blue that scratch, when held to the light the scratch will appear.

Easiest way to hide it is paint it.

It is steel, don't plan to sell it, just cover over the scratch so I don't see it
( never hold it up to the light anyway)

It won't be perfect, but Oxpho Blue will work for a touchup. I've had good luck with it--sometimes, depending on the shade of the blueing and the size of the scratch it can make it virtually invisible.

Take care with cold-bluing (MHO)

On Blued steel, you have to take care when applying any cold-blue as the steel adjacent to the scratch "may" also take the bluing and you wind up with a blotchy appearance and you will lose the effect you want. Practice on a hidden area like under the grip. For now, I think I would just cover the the scratch with a fine black sharpy. In time, the "bright" will fade ....... :rolleyes:

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

If you can pull the liquid cold blue into and through the scratch with a toothpick or similar, it might work OK.
Smearing cold blue OVER the scratch will likely discolor the bluing.

Yes. That's good advice. It should be done as a touchup, restricting it, as much as possible, to the scratch itself, not simply smeared over a general area.

Certainly you can apply touch up (after degreasing) into the scratch, but under certain light that scratch will still appear. So you're not "repairing the scratch" but trying to conceal it. The only way to remove it is to repolish the entire surface and then refinish (blue) it.

Scratches and dings are a part of use/ownership. I accept them as normal wear and tear.

Reality Check !!!???

Scratches and dings are a part of use/ownership. I accept them as normal wear and tear.
Excellent reply and as for me, I would "restrict" the cold-blue to the bottle. I've been there a couple of times and once is too many. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back