Renewal of CCW in Ohio

Good question, Boondoggie.

A certification of competency expires six years after the date of issuance. After the certificate expires, the law requires a licensee to be recertified by a qualified instructor prior to applying to renew a concealed handgun License.
Taken from pg. 13 of the Ohio Attorney General's Concealed Carry Law Handbook <-PDF Download

If your permit expires this spring, you may renew your license with your current competency certification (which is good for two more years). Once your competency certification expires, your CHL is still valid until it expires, but you will not be able to renew it the next time without being recertified.

Read here: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125 under section F and G for more information. Look closely at 2923.125 (G)(3) and (4) to learn about being recertified without having to re-take the entire course of instruction.

I don't know where my classroom certificate is. Wouldn't bringing in my current license be good enough for this first renewal session? Wish the AG's office would get on the stick and clear some of this stuff up, before the last minute.

The AG's office published the pamphlet I linked to back in April '07. A full year before the first batch of licenses expire. There's nothing last-minute about it.

You shouldn't need any proof of certification to renew your license this coming spring. Your original certification is good for six years and your original license expires in four. Your renewal will be good for five years.

You can get a recertification just by re-taking the test if it is within six years of the date of your original certificate. If it has been more than six years since you took your class, you will have to re-take the entire class again to get recertified.

The AG's office published the pamphlet I linked to back in April '07. A full year before the first batch of licenses expire. There's nothing last-minute about it.

You shouldn't need any proof of certification to renew your license this coming spring. Your original certification is good for six years and your original license expires in four. Your renewal will be good for five years.

You can get a recertification just by re-taking the test if it is within six years of the date of your original certificate. If it has been more than six years since you took your class, you will have to re-take the entire class again to get recertified.

Sounds like a discussion for a driver's license or something instead of something that is reaffirmed as a right in the COTUS. Where do I sign up for the 1st Amendment permit? ;)

Back