Rendezvous at Whittington Center

Last year I soldered a rib on my 45 "Kentucky Rifle" from Spain. I hated the full stock as it had that cheesy chunk of brass between the two pieces. Hence the rib to make it a half stock. Also straightened the barrel (it was bent) and poured a pewter nose on it.

So, while working at Adventure Camp (see my thread in General Discussion), there was some time off and I went to Rendezvous there to shoot in their trail walk. Not having found my possibles bag, I threw together a makeshift one (army satchel pouch) but didn't have a short starter. Tough to ram the balls down. So, I didn't use a patch at all. It does get a lot dirtier. The dark clouds overhead portend of thunder and lightning. Holding a smoke pole is like holding onto a lightning rod. No need to darwinize myself. That wasn't the worse of it. My reading glasses were left behind so I couldn't see my sights. I only shot 9 out of 20. Still it was fun.

Great Story !!!

cheesy chunk of brass between the two pieces
I have also found these to be a big turn-off and for that reason alone, will never buy one. .... ;)

but didn't have a short starter.
I once had to improvise and make a short-start out of one of those plastic hangers. Fortunately I found a black hanger and wound up with two short-starts. They work, if you don't work them too hard. ... ;)
I only shot 9 out of 20. Still it was fun.
Regardless of the circumstances, any time I can Make-Smoke" it's fun !!

Be Safe !!!

Adventure Camp has agreed to let me set up a trail walk for the campers. I have to see what tables we have because the campers are taught to load from a bench. I don't want them loading without their rifles held solely between their legs or hands (no head over muzzle). It will also allow them to use a steel (with brass muzzle protector) rod to load with (since we discourage them from using their wood ramrods).

I hope to have a wood frame for a "X" made with two strings, a log to hold cards that they have to split, a log with an axe head (and clay pigeons that break if they hit the axe head), a bunch of steel targets and other fun things for the campers to shoot.

Just no end to the fun targets you can make up for that kind of shooting. I've done it a lot of times. One thing I always found the kids liked shooting is candy suckers. You can buy a big bag or two of them at a dollar store and drill some holes into a log or 2x4 or whatever to hold them upright.

Gary
My first muzzleloader was a really cheap Spanish made .45 cal. Kentucky style flintlock that I bought through a magazine ad back in the early 70's. Couldn't get it to spark most of the time. Fit and finish were godawful. Then along came a .50 cal CVA Mountain Rifle not historically accurate but very functional. I graduated up to a William Kennedy built .32 cal Southern Style Squirrel Rifle I'd say that squirrel gun was my favorite of all the BP rifles I've owned over the years.

Back