Removing the Hammer Pin ?

KEYBEAR

I need to remove the Hammer Pilot Pin on a Ruger Super Blackhawk three screw . Can the Pilot pin be removed with a Slave pin behind the Pilot Pin ?

I do not like removing the Grip frame if not necessary . I need to change the Pilot pin with a new one .

Last edited:
I don't remember the specifics of that gun but slave pins are often used in gunsmithing .Shouldn't be a problem .Might be that the slave may have to be snug fit .

The hammer pivot pin is held in by the pivot lock, which is the lower right hand grip frame screw. If that is removed, the hammer pivot pin should push right out and there is no reason a proper size slave pin (or the new pivot pin) cannot be used to follow up and hold the hammer in place. Just make sure the groove in the pivot pin goes to the right on installation. (Right in this case is to the right if the gun is held in the normal manner for firing.)

Jim

It just gets better and better .
, No one reads anymore .
My Ruger is a Three Screw not a new model .

The pilot pin is threaded on the old model not held in any other way .
The pin is smaller on the left side so a same size pin can not just slide in
behind the original pin .

You may be correct James

But I would bet finding anyone that would know may be a problem .
I know someone working at Ruger would know but finding that person ?????
I will see if I can do it with a slave pin if not I can remove the grip frame ?

Thank You

You are correct in that I failed to note that the gun is a three screw. But you confused things by referring to the hammer pivot pin, which does not exist in the three-screw guns, which have a hammer screw. A slave pin cannot be used for the reason you state.

In the three screw, to replace the hammer screw, you only need to remove the grips, take the tension off the hammer spring in the normal way, then remove and replace the screw. If you don't move anything, the new screw should go right in.

Jim

James K

,On the Numrich web site the part is listed as the hammer pivot pin .
I have a new pin and will install it today . I may remove the Grip frame anyway if the parts look like they need cleaning and lube .

The gun was built in 1972 and has not been shot much .

Back