removing the cylinder from a security six

old_yout

How would I remove the cylinder from a security six? The only screw I see is by the thumb latch, but I'm leery of removing just any ol' screw. Can anyone help me here?

According to my Gun Digest disassembly book on revolvers, you have to remove the trigger guard assembly to free up the cylinder crame for removal. Prior to removing the trigger guard assembly, you have to remove the grips, mainspring, hammer, & then the trigger guard which is held by a plunger. Kind of hard to explain over the net. The screw by the thumb latch only holds the thumb latch on. A lot more complicated than a S&W or Colt. If you tinker with guns, these books are the way to go (6 volumes), as everything is listed step by step with pictures to guide you. Hope this info helps.

Probably the best advice on removing cylinders is not to do it unless you have to. There is no normal cleaning that can't be done with the cylinder in the gun.

Jim

well, I ask because the cylinder is turning a little more sluggishly than usual. Nothing major; the weapon works fine. The cylinder's just a little slow so I thought I might remove it and clean up around the area. Just a thought.

Let me see if I can get this right from memory.

Step 1, remove grips

Step 2, cock the hammer. Then place a pin (bent paperclip will do) through the hole in the rod that holds the hammer spring and gently lower the hammer. Now the pressure is off the spring, and you can remove the rod and spring as one piece.

Step 3, pull the hammer back half way and use a punch to push out the hammer pin/plate from the left side to the right. It should come out pretty easy. Now you can remove the hammer

Step 4, look down into the revolver through the opening where the hammer was. Use a punch or very small screwdriver and stick it all the way into the opening, pointing almost straight down. There is a spring-loaded tab down there that holds the trigger guard in place. Get the head of the punch on it, and pull the punch towards the grip of the gun and this will depress the spring and allow you to remove the triggerguard and trigger altogether.

Step 5, swing open the cynlinder and pull forward out of the gun.

Assembly is in reverse order. Pay attention while performing the steps and getting it back together won't be hard at all.

Good luck!

Back