Removing stock from a bedded M1A

Except for rebarreling or other internal repairs it is not necessary to dismount the stock.
If, however, it is required hold the rifle upside down by the forend and drop the butt into the other hand with some force. It may take several shots to free the barreled action. If the action is glued in a freezer may be needed.
In the 34 years that I have owned and fired my number 1 rifle it has been out of the stock only about 8 times. All for rebarreling or rebedding.

I use a dowel (actually a 1/2" wide chunk of a 6" chunk 2x4 that I split off with an axe). Seat it under the heel of the receiver and tap the action out. Don't put it on the safety bridge or under the rear sight base.

I do it maybe every 12 months if I'm shooting a couple times a month. There's not a lot under there that requires any real attention. It'll get filthy, and you may find some rust spots, but there's really nothing that will stop it from running.

Make sure you clean all the metal and bedding before reassembling. Check the back corners of the receiver legs (+ lug if so equipped) and make sure they aren't going to shave epoxy going back in.

30cal's description above is how I do mine. I only take mine apart RARELY. There is no need to do this routinely and you are setting yourself to have to skim bed it if you do it often.

When needed, use care. Otherwise leave it alone.

"...to prevent damage to the bedding..." If you damage the epoxy just taking the stock off the bedding job wasn't done right.
The stock from a bedded M1A should pop off without much fuss. Have to whomp the barrel of my .243 on my futon. Isn't an M1A though.

I bought a new springfield armory M1A , last summer. It came with the FDE (tan) synthetic stock... They say don't remove the stock unless there is a situation that needs repaired.

Back