Removing skateboard tape?

Tom68

I traded for a Beretta 92FS on which a previous owner had used skateboard tape on the frontstrap and backstrap. I successfully removed the tape, but the sticky adhesive residue remains.

What can I use to remove this residue without damaging the finish? I'm hoping that something found commonly around the house may work.

Goo Gone, it is one of the more invaluable tools in any workshop...
Usually a buck or so at Wally World/Lowe's/HD...

Goo Gone is a mix of Acetone, Phenol and something else. Use gloves and even then it will eat though the gloves and be absorbed through your skin. Do not drive the day you use it as it acts as an intoxicant. Acetone will remove they tack crap and will not leave you with the same brain damage as Goo Gone but you still will need to use gloves.

Plain old gasoline has always worked for me, but there could be different adhesives used today. And gasoline is cheaper - $1.50 a gallon vs. $2 or more for a small can, and won't harm the finish.

Jim

I wouldn't use Googone or solvents as they can affect plastics and blued finishes. Mineral is cheap, safe, odorless and won't hurt you gun or its finish.

Plain old gasoline has always worked for me, but there could be different adhesives used today. And gasoline is cheaper - $1.50 a gallon vs. $2 or more for a small can, and won't harm the finish.
Gasoline is never safe to use as a solvent.

Last edited:
#1 choice of mine would be orange peel oil. Available under different brands.

#2 is denatured alcohol

#3 is rubbing alcohol.

-TL

Goo Gone(60 to 100% petroleum distillates), is horrendously expensive stuff. Nothing in the original formula that'll intoxicate you though. Don't drink it or get it in your eyes. Lot of other "may cause" on the MSDS too. Didn't bother my hide, but it might somebody else.
Rubbing alcohol works just as well. Not quite as fast though. WD and lighter fluids work too.
Actually tested this a year ago last summer while working at a computer refurbisher's. Goo Gone runs about $8Cdn for 8 ounces up here. Got looking for a less expensive guck remover.

I wouldn't use Googone or solvents as they can affect plastics and blued finishes

I've used Goofoff, which is pretty the same mix chemicals, and it will not harm caustic bluing on steel, plus, I would say it wont bother parkerizing. Paint, plastic, and anodizing, though, is another matter.

Turtle Wax makes a sticker remover, which should work on adhesive from skate board tape. Can be found at Wal-Mart in the automotive department.

"Gasoline is never safe to use as a solvent."

OK, Dahermit, why? It is no more flammable than the other solvents being proposed, and less likely to do harm than acetone. Like most of the other solvents, it has to be used in a ventilated area. So why is gasoline never safe, while the other stuff is?

Jim

I've used Googone on many of my guns to remove skate board tape glue. I've used it on guns that cost close to three grand and it's NEVER done any damage to the bluing or the grips. Never, never, never use steel wool. NEVER.

Back