Removing Remington 870 Express recoil pad

PapaScout

Inactive
Ok, I'm a complete idiot. I want to remove the stock from my 870 Express so a buddy of mine can show me/help me refinish it. But I can't.

I can't see the screws holding the pad on because the holes are so small. I've tried standard and phillips screwdrivers, hex heads sae and metric and splines but I can't find anything that grips.

This is an older Express Mag ('92 I believe). Any ideas on what they used to hold the recoil pad on?

I'm a full grown man and I feel like a little kid asking this.

Please be kind. :D

Use the large (mega big) phillips. Place a drop or two of oil in the hole. The screws should be the large head type. It does look like you should use a smaller screw-driver but the factory screw heads are quite large.
Mike

They use phillips screws and should be approximately 3/4's to 1 inch from the bottom and top of the stock. You really have to jab the screw driver into the recoil pad and feel around with it until you locate the screw - once you've done that pull the screwdriver out and try to go straight down on the screw. A LITTLE bit of gun oil on the screw driver will help it slide into the pad better. Once the pad is off you'll be able to see the stock screw that runs through the entire stock and into the reciever. It should be a flat head . Good luck and don't feel too bad everyone has been there at one point in time or another.

Matt

Looks like i was a little late good advice 9mm

Remington 870 Recoil Pad Fasteners Screws

I split my Factory Recoil Pad by forcing one of the screws with a Phillips. These are square heads. Easier with manufacturing gear. Remington 870 Recoil Pads employ SQUARE HEADS!!!

More recent 870's have #2 phillips head screws, which are not the largest. What they used in 62 I don't know. Using a couple drops of oil helps to avoid splitting the pad. While at it you might want to treat yourself to a new Remington SuperCell pad for just over $20.

Since 1963 I haven't seen anything but Phillips head screws on a Remington from the factory. Someone may, repeat MAY, have changed them. I have not seen one newer than 4 months old.

I've got about a dozen 870's and they are all large Phillips. You really have to jam the screwdriver in there and keep firm pressure on them when you are unscrewing.

One more thing. Do not try to remove one screw at a time. Loosen one, then the other, so the pad comes off with the screws in it. Won't split the pad or make the screw holes big doing it this way.

I'm not sure if the 870 uses the same fastener as the 1100 to keep the stock on so this may not apply. If it does though, you will need a very large flathead screwdriver to remove it. If it won't budge, stop and get the right removal tool before it gets boogered up.

Newer 1100s have a hex head retainer. Big improvement IMO. Fought a many of the old slotted head nuts. I swapped all mine over.

Back