Removing/reattaching suppressor

Rikakiah

Does frequently removing a suppressor add any excess wear and tear than just an increased risk of cross-threading?

I have an AR-style .22 (HK416) and am in process of getting a suppressor. I'm debating on a carry bag, though. A 42" would hold the gun fine, but a 36" would be less cumbersome (as well as slightly cheaper). However, if I got the more convenient 36", I'd have to remove the suppressor for storage/carry. Thoughts?

I've taken mine off rifles and pistols hundreds of time without issue. As long as you don't cross-thread when putting it back on I can't imagine there would be a problem.

Personally, I'm more afraid of damaging something by transporting WITH the can attached.

I will second that. The only time I transport any of my guns with the suppressor mounted is when they are in a hard shell case. Even then I check to make sure they didn't loosen when in transit.

Also, it is a good idea to remove suppressors after shooting (once they are cool enough to handle) or the carbon fowling might "weld" them to the muzzle.

Thanks. Nice point about transport damage with it attached. I'd be removing it anyway to clean after each shooting session, especially since it's a .22.

And I'm really careful with my toys, so I'm not particularly concerned I'll cross-thread it.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys.

I keep the threads wet with RemOil. It makes it much easier to thread on. I had a couple times when the threads were really dry, and I didnt like the way it felt when starting the thread. A light oil just makes it go much easier.

Back