Removing primer crimps?

74camaroman

Does anyone here use a three or six bladed countersink to remove primer crimps?
Just for my information! That is all I have ever used and I even have an RCBS primer pocket swager but I find the countersink works better, just wondering if anybody else finds the countersink easier and better!! Thanks. 74camaroman:confused:

Not a counter sink, but my Lyman little multi tool thing comes with a reamer that will cut them out. I don't think that's what it was designed for, but works great. Until I started bulk processing 223... Although, I could not slow that process down too. Don't have the primers to load like I used to when I bought the swager for my 650

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reaming you remove dome metal and swaging you move some metal. Either method works fine. Most of the time I just ream with my case prep center but I started with a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Obviously motor driven is quicker and easier. A countersink works just fine. I choose based on how many I plan to prep.

Ron

Terrible product. Very difficult to keep aligned so that it doesn't cut into the pocket sidewall.

I have been using a similar pair that came with a Lyman hand tool for about 10 years now. I don't do that much LC brass, at a guess maybe 1000 cases in those ten years. I just use LC in my gas guns but I normally get 10 plus reloads from cases before I lose or trash the cases for one reason or the other. Near as I can tell the tool self self centers. I use mine with a cordless drill and it takes about 5 Seconds per pocket then I use a primer GO/NOGO gage to check each one for a snug but doable fit. I can't recall ever cutting ito a sidewall or at least to the point where the NOGO gage would fit. Sometimes I have to redo the cut to get the GO gage in though. All in all it saves me a lot of hassle when initially priming LC cases

I can see both scenarios occurring depending on whether you are able to float the case to self-align or try to keep it rigid. The reamer you get for the Wilson trimmer does the cleanest and best-centered reaming job I've seen, but that is mechanical alignment at work. Otherwise, it is a bit hard on the cutter-turning fingertips after a while. I've been spoiled by the Dillon 600.

I honestly don't think crimp removal has to be one of those areas where precision counts for much. As long as my GO/NOGO gage says it is good to go my primers seem to be happy enough. But then like I said, LC brass is some good stuff but I won't ever use anything that has ever been ran through a gas gun in my bolt rifles. Rims get bent, necks tweaked etc. Whether that primer pocket has a bit more chamfer on one side or the other is the least of the issues

I use the RCBS pocket swager and it works most of the time. I am wiling to bet I have it wrong because failure rate is high, but for years I didn't worry about it due to, as you guessed, a seemingly inexhaustible supply. Whoops. I honestly never thought about using the chamfer tool to take care of that.

Back