Removing full length gauge tubes

the45er

I bought a few used guns today. One was a Stoeger (E.R. Amantino) side by side in excellent shape. It had a set of 28 gauge full length tubes installed in the barrels. Before I totally screw something up, I thought I'd inquire here as to the best way to go about removing those tubes? I don't think they're rusted in there at all, but they're not just popping out either. Additionally, the tubes are fitted with screw in chokes of all things. Talk about overkill for a $300 shotgun, but it is what it is!

????

Have I missed the part where you are using a choke-tube wrench. One should have come with the shotgun. It is important to periodically pull and the threads and reinstall with anti-cease. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

I am not referring the chokes. I'm talking about full length barrel liner/inserts to allow a 28 gauge shell to be fired in a 12 gauge shotgun.

If you do not have a knock out tool, a plastic mallet can be used carefully on an extended choke tube or an inside choke tube wrench.

I have zero experience with them.
So I'm guessing. I'd think some form of retention of the tube would be necessary to keep the tube in place during 28 ga extraction. Not a lot,but some.

I could be wrong,but I suspect some form of rubber or elastomer O-rings are installed on each end of the gauge tube.

I suspect the guage tubes don't bear steel on steel,line to line fit in the 12 gauge bores.

I suspect they are suspended between o-rings. I say that because if I had to make some,thats what I would do.

I don't know the fine details but Purbaugh and Briley sub-gauge tube are made to fit the individual gun, the individual barrel. So it's going to be snug.
Briley does make the generic Companion tubes.

Back