Removing finish from a 10-22 Receiver

PaddyMac

Inactive
A local pawn shop has a Ruger 10-22 in pretty rough shape for $100. Actually only the barrel is in bad shape (pitted exterior). I was thinking of finding a stainless steel barrel on Ebay, adding the Zephyr sights from Brownell's and stripping the black finish off the receiver. Does any one know how well the black finish comes off the receiver and how to do it?

The best way to remove the epoxy finish on the 10/22 is bead blasting. If you want a good finish that will match a SS barrel and is very durable and easy to do at home, try Brownells Teflon/Moly Oven Cure Finish in ss-gray. Replace the barrel with one of the bull barrels for better accuracy, or if you want a really elegant looking 10/22 get a 20" tapered sporter barrel from Midway (if they still offer them).

Thanks for the prompt reply. I thought of bead blasting but don't know where to get it done and would like to keep the expense down. The Brownell finish sounds great. I'll check it out. I wonder how it would work on that old barrel if I stripped in down to bare metal? I'd like to have peep sights on this 10-22 and I can't find a replacement barrel other than Ruger's that accomodates a front sight. I already have a "tricked out" 10-22.

Your best bet is to go to a local machine shop and try to catch one of the guys on lunch break. Lots of places let the guys work on "personal" projects and don't ask too many questions. Bead blasting is definately the way to go, if you want it to match a SS barrel just buff it out after you have it blasted.

Back