removing cosmoline

tahunua001

hello all.
I'm pretty excited. I just picked up my mosin nagant from my LGS today so I've finally rounded out my allied invasion collection of bolt guns(enfield NO4, Springfield 1903 and now 91/30) and it's probably one of the nicest 91/30s I've ever seen so I'm pretty happy, the whole thing is pretty well drenched in cosmoline so I was wondering what the best way to remove it is.

also do I want to remove it from the stock or do I just want to wipe the excess off?

No it won't dry out the wood, but don't get mineral spirits on the stock it will harm the finish some people dunk them in gasoline or kerosine, I don't lol. You could place the stick in a black trash bag and place it in a car in the hot sun the cosmo will leech out but it will make your car smell

Hot sun or a hair dryer will make the cosmoline sweat out of the wood. As for the metal parts a good soaking and scrubbing with simple green mixed with Hot water works well. Dont forget to dry it out and promptly coat with CLP or other lubricant.

well I just wiped the excess cosmoline off the stock so at least my hand's aren't brown from handling it anymore and I gave all the metal parts a good soaking in hot water which removed almost all of it with just a little elbow grease and rags. I'll try and post picks later. thanks for the tips guys

I've had good luck with break cleaner for cosmoline on metal, just make sure you oil it up good after you're done. For the stock just leave it in the sun on a hot day and wipe it down good every couple hours.

Stu

There may be as many methods as there are people who collect Mosin Nagants. I've had really good luck removing the stock, putting it in a black trash bag and putting it in the rear deck of my car when it's hot outside. The cosmoline just sweats out like nobody's business.

But all of the other methods mentioned above work, too. Mine's just the lazy way.

Brake cleaner works very well on the metal parts. Mineral spirits as well...

Be sure to disassemble the bolt completely- including the extractor- as cosmo usually ends up behind it making it stick. I usually boil all the bolt parts.

Be sure to pay particular attention to the chamber. Residual cosmo there will cause "sticky bolt" syndrome...even a small amount left behind will seep out when the rifle heats up after a few rounds and make cycling difficult.

I pour boiling water on the wood, it brings the wazy cosmo to the top then wipe off. repeat a dozen times and it will be about clean

TexasJim is right on the money.

I've been watching American Gunsmithing Institute videos and they use Simple Green as a degreaser and warm water as a rinse. Then dry it off with compressed air, towels, etc...

Mineral spirits is a more expensive and potentially harmful (to you and the wood) way of removing cosmoline. Brake cleaner works well IF you don't have access to a compressor, but I also use RemOil afterwards and lots of rags/paper towels after that finish cleaning it and lubricate it. RemOil leaves a dry teflon coating.

Last edited:
Any bolts with cosmoline I've had I let soak in mineral spirits. After a little bit of time, those firing pins should shake loose and all the gunk should end up in the bath. Oil it well after this. I just put a little elbow grease into the stock with some old newspapers and I was good to go.

Back