Removing Cosmoline From Bayonet

'88Scrat

So I recently acquired a Yugo M1924 bayonet that is in very good condition but is covered thickly in cosmoline. I've removed cosmoline from milsurp rifles before but never from a bayonet.

What's the best way to go about this? I'm thinking the best way is to disassemble it and bake it in the oven for a while but I don't recognize the screws (closest I can compare them to is a modern day snake eye security screw) and don't want to mess them up.

Help...

What about Mineral Spirits?

Won't using something like gas/kerosene or mineral spirits damage the wood?

The cosmoline is packed into the hole in the grip for the cleaning rod, like to the point I can't get it on the rifle at the moment. Only way I can think to get to that is to totally submerge it.

Disassemble to the point you are comfortable & odorless mineral spirits.

I used MS on many a cosmo-soaked milsurp stock and it does pretty well.

Best thing is probably to pack in sawdust inside a plastic box and put it in your attic for a couple of hot months. Will melt that cosmo right out of the sucker. I would be leery of putting gun or bayo parts in an oven if they have cosmo on them: odor, fire, fumes, furious wife problems come to mind.

Srat, mineral spirits and kerosene are VERY similar chemically. Kerosene is a little more "oily". Diesel is also similar to kerosene but is even more oily.

Back