removing bullet from WWII Arisaka 6.5 round

steelbuster

Reloading forum might be a better place for this but Harley's a good place to start.
I found an WWII vintage 6.5X50 Arisaka round in my fathers trunk ( he was a sailor in WWII) and I would like to remove the bullet and powder, and deactivate the primer so I can keep it as a souvenir. I normally use an impact type bullet puller but I'm a little hesitant to do this with a round this old. Any thoughts on the stability of the powder and primer after all this time? I have a great deal of hand loading experience, but no knowledge of historic ammo including primers. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Pete

It's a valid concern but I don't thing you have anything to worry about . I've pulled the bullets from cases a lot older than WW II. Load it up and give it a wack. Gun powder will remain stable for a very long time. In fact the only thing unstable I've seen from very old cartridges is a fizz instead of a bang.:)

Roger the fizzzz :p. I guess I'll go give it that whack..... OK , all done. No pwder in the case :confused:. I should have known. Dad was always a stickler for safety, he must have removed the powder years ago.
Thanks for the comeback.
Pete

My advice is leave it alone.........I have some .45ACP cartridges dated REM-UMC
dated 1918 and some FA 1923, 1930.
Chief-7700

There is no way in hell that I would ever use an impact bullet puller to get a bullet out of an old military round.

I collect cartridges. Some years ago I was at a gunshow digging around in a box of loose cartridges when I came across one with an odd looking bullet.

It was a Japanese 7.7 military round loaded with a bullet containing several grams of PETN explosive.

pulling bullets

STEELBUSTER:thats why I use the HORNADY puller.also the Hornady has a lever and is easier to use than RCBS.hammers are useful to pull wadcutters.I have WW2 7.7 jap mg rounds and as the primer is bad I pull and reuse powder and bullet.:D

There's no reason to deactivate this round if you just want to keep it, since it won't "go off" all by it self; however, as Mike points out, the Japanese DID load high-explosive rounds in some of their small-arms calibres. These are identified by a flat-tipped bullet, and the late-war versions consisted of nothing more than a bullet jacket stuffed with paper that was soaked in nitroglycerine, then sealed with a base plug. If you were try to pull one of those, it may be the last thing you ever tried to do.

Back