Removing bedding epoxy from mount

tpcollins

I used some PC-7 epoxy (I think it’s an automotive epoxy similar to JB Weld) to bed a DNZ Grim Reaper one piece mount to my rifle. I also slipped a piece of .015”brass shim at the rear edge so I could get the maximum out of the Leupold CDS.

Other than scrape the heck out of the bottom with a knife, is there a chemical that would soften it easier for removal? I was hoping acetone might help? Thanks.

Per google:

Use Denatured Alcohol, Acetone, Rubbing Alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or Lacquer Thinner to clean tools and mixing surface before PC-7® cures. Clean hands and skin with soap and water. Cured epoxy can be removed by applying Paint Remover or Paint Stripper to soften the epoxy surface.

I once used an aircraft grade paint stripper to remove Accra Glas from a walnut forend.
Remember some aircraft paints are epoxy.

It worked.

Solvents may help but also may cause damage to the stock and certainly its finish.

Note I specifically used "may" vs. "will". It depends. May work just fine.

For removing cured epoxy, I use a dremel-style rotary tool and cheap flap-wheel attachments. Outdoors, so the dust is blown away.

Remove the rifle from the stock. Use a heat gun to soften the epoxy. should be able to peel it off the surface with a scraper.

Best thing to use is heat, warm it upp to 400-ish degrees and it will flake right off. Second best is freeze the part in a sub-zero freezer. Next best is acetone, but it takes time to get it off.

Jewelry-making suppliers have (or used to) methylene chloride for getting epoxied stones out of settings. It will kill a finish, for sure, but it works. Overall, I think the heat option is better than breathing fumes and waiting for that stuff to penetrate, though.

I think methylene chloride is the active ingredient in the paint stripper. The solvent on its own is volatile like acetone.They make it into a gel somehow to give it some staying power.

I agree its a health hazard to work with. My understanding is its very bad for the liver and may cause liver cancer.

Back