removing adhesive from inside of ammo cans

tahunua001

hello all,
just curious if anyone has some suggestions for how to proceed. I have a couple ammo cans that were originally for some sort of night vision goggle and were lined with styrofoam. I peeled the foam out but the adhesive strips stayed in the cans attached to the metal. I tried storing ammo as is but the boxes all stuck and I've been forced to rip them appart to get the ammo out. anyone got an idea for an easy way to remove the adhesive without shortening the life of the cans?

What works quickly with the least rubbing varies depending on the adhesive. I typically do a quick test of mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, WD-40, or lighter fluid (Naptha). Depending on the type of adhesive, one of those four will typically work better than the others.

Occasionally I'll use lacquer thinner or acetone, but they also attack many plastics and paints.

"...for some sort of night vision goggle..." That's not an ammo can. It's a box.
However, lighter fluid is probably the least expensive adhesive remover. Goo Gone works, but it's pricey stuff.

That's not an ammo can. It's a box.
hmm... metal construction, watertight seal, same base dimensions as a 50cal ammo can... and I intend to store ammo in them... sounds like an ammo can to me.

so for future reference... goof off does not work at all.

naptha works but still requires quite a bit of elbow grease. they were not planning on that foam to every come out again apparently.

Just finished a "project" of the year or lifetime for me (new NG Weber Grill) and the unboxed firebox/lid had been exposed to weather. Really dreaded removing the protective film & glue on the SS parts. Had read about a product available from Dollar Tree stores called AWESOME.

Wife just sprayed it on full strength onto a door panel to test it, and all the glue residue just wiped right off. No harm to finish. Moved on to the lid that still had alot of the actual protective film still on, and the AWESOME softened up the film, and it pulled off with little effort, and another spray and soak, the remaining glue just wiped off very easily. Wife did not use any PPE gloves, hands were not rough or dry afterwards, no bad smell, etc.

All the SS parts look great now, and very little effort.

You need more than gloves ! MEK is a powerful solvent and a dangerous one too ! You don't want to breath the fumes .Protection there and do it outside like all solvents.
We used to rate carburetor cleaners by how much MEK they had.
What's a carburetor ??? :rolleyes:

Ammo cans at gun shows are $14-$16. Heck, by the time you buy the cleaner and spend hours cleaning it what did you save?

Back