Remove H.P. magazine disconnect.

dahermit

I am desirous of removing my magazine disconnect...I have lived with the gritty trigger too long.

I watched two youtube videos on how to do it. It seemed like a simple procedure. The procedure was:
1. Remove the slide.
2. Punch out the disconnect plunger's pin.
3. Push the trigger lever out of it's slot and to the rear.
4. Pry the Disconnect out of its tunnel.

It would not come out like those in the videos.

In one of the videos the guy states that he had trouble getting his out (off camera), and that his was plastic and was broken. Mine however, is most certainly steel.
Any idea why it will not release?

The spring can bind and it takes a little patience. It should come out though. The hard =est part on mine was getting the pin back n the trigger. Also it is harder to get back in than take out. removing the disconnect will greatly improve your trigger feel. Get ready to burn through some ammo ... LOL

I never got past the step that you skipped, driving out the trigger pivot pin.
I was absolutely certain I would scratch the frame before I got that pin out, so just stopped.
My trigger isn't gritty or especially heavy - for a Hi-Power - I just wanted my mags to drop free,

I never got past the step that you skipped, driving out the trigger pivot pin.
I was absolutely certain I would scratch the frame before I got that pin out, so just stopped.
In the youtube videos, they never punched out the trigger pivot pin. They left the trigger pivot pin and the trigger assembly in the frame. The only pin they removed was the one that retains the magazine disconnect.

In the youtube videos, they never punched out the trigger pivot pin. They left the trigger pivot pin and the trigger assembly in the frame. The only pin they removed was the one that retains the magazine disconnect.
dahermit is offline Report Post

I am going to point out....that what you saw on the utube..was for older BHPs....if you have a Mk111....you have to remove the trigger pivot pin...and drop trigger assembly

http://www.handgunsandammunition.co...oving-fn-browning-high-power-trigger-pin.html

Last edited:
I am going to point out....that what you saw on the utube..was for older BHPs....if you have a Mk111....you have to remove the trigger pivot pin...
My H.P. is at least 12 years old, but I have no idea what model it is. So I guess that someone is going to have to school me on how to determine which model I have. Until someone does, it is blue with fixed sights, came with a spur hammer (I swapped it out for a "rowel", "Commander style" hammer), and the traditional flat, checkered wood stocks, ambi safety. Left side: "Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah & Montreal P.Q." Right side: "Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal". It came with a 13 round magazine, not 10 rounder so likely before Brady Bill/ Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.

I never bothered...my hipower triggers were great with the disconnect.
That does not help me remove my magazine disconnect, does it? :)
For years, I have been putting a dab of grease on the spot on each magazine where the disconnect rubs...but the improvement in trigger pull, while detectable with the grease, is still not all that good. Also, having to pull the mags from the gun is very annoying compared to my Colt Combat Commander. I have lived with it for a long time but I have not shot it all that much because I am essentially a double-action revolver person (I shoot 72 rounds, double-action, seven days a week), but may want to mess with more H.P. shooting given a better trigger pull and mags dropping free.
Besides, it grinds me that the magazine disconnect provides no useful function.

"Besides, it grinds me that the magazine disconnect provides no useful function."

Unless you're one of those poorly trained, misinformed dummies who thought removing the magazine unloaded a semi-auto.

"...at least 12 years old..." That's almost new. Mine's an Inglis made in 1944. snicker.
The disconnect should just come out once the wee, tiny, mag safety pin is out. No prying is required. Might be a burr or the like.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/browning_hipower_field.pdf
"...getting the pin back in the trigger..." Unnecessary except for esthetics. The wee, tiny pin does nothing but hold the mag safety spring in.

"...getting the pin back in the trigger..."
I have had that little pin out at least three times now. I am having no trouble getting it back in...I have a curved hemostat with which I hold the pin against its hole and tap it in with a small hammer. Now if I could only get the magazine disconnect out.

the link I provided tells EXACTLY how to remove the disconnect....did you even bother to read it???
Yes, I read it...it seemed to be about removing the trigger pin, which is not the problem. I did finally remove the the whole trigger from the frame and then the magazine disconnect fell out. The procedures to remove the magazine disconnect as per three youtube videos, only remove the magazine disconnect pin...not the trigger pin and the trigger assembly. Once the trigger was out, there was nothing I could detect that would require having to remove the trigger from the frame in order to get the disconnect out...but it worked nonetheless. Perhaps someone can explain the difference between my H.P. and the older ones that did not require dropping the trigger.
The good news is that the magazine disconnect is now out and the magazines fall free under their own weight. The bad news is that the trigger pull is not all that smooth...creeps then releases.

Last edited:
trigger pull is not all that smooth...creeps then releases.

one other benefit of dropping the trigger group..it gives one the opportunity to polish the trigger transfer lever(the vertical one) where it slides in its grove....a source of drag and grittiness

I'm not an encyclopedia of HP knowledge, but a Mk. III will have grooves covering the bottom of the frame, indicative of the frame being cast rather than forged. My late-'90s gun is a Mk. III.
Mk. IIs had a rib running the full length of the top of the slide.
That should cover the last 30 years or so of production.

I've heard of breaking the head off of the plunger with the whole assembly still in the gun, just leaving the broken shaft and spring in place in the trigger.

I went down the road of polishing all of the magazines, and applying various "mag slick" products, to reduce friction.
I was more concerned with the mags dropping free than in improvement in the trigger action, as my gun has a better trigger than any HP I've handled, including one that had had a trigger job.

Ultimately, I just bought mouse-trap magazines to ensure ejection, and left the disconnector alone.

"I've heard of breaking the head off of the plunger with the whole assembly still in the gun, just leaving the broken shaft and spring in place in the trigger."

Then the gun won't work at all.

Jim

That would appear to be the case, with the spring still pushing against shaft of the plunger.
Don't attempt it at home.

Back