Removable choke tubes

I have installed choke tubes before but haven't done it for many years. Was going through Brownells and noticed that all the new choke tubes appear to protrude outside of the muzzle; effectively extending the barrel.

Since when did this become the fashion? I think it's ugly myself but what do I know?

Extended chokes have been around since the beginning or so. I much prefer them as I do not need a wrench to tighten them or check them to see what choke is in there. The only time I think they are ugly is on a SxS; just doesn't look right to me. While I actually prefer fixed chokes, if my gun has choke tubes, they will be extended.

ugly

I think their unsightly too. Also, I have read that on some double guns, the knurling and dia of extended tubes conflict with each other and the long tubes cannot be used.

Never had that issue with an O/Us I have. They are handy if you are limited to a few guns that means you need to make them more versatile

The extended portion of the choke tube is for better leverage, or using a spanner wrench, and so does not need the "wrench slots" cut into the tube body the way flush, completely internal tubes do.

Be aware that if the tubes are left in place over a large amount of rounds, they can become "hammer welded" to the barrel and more difficult to remove. Same applies if the gun gets rusty. They should still be able to be removed with the correct tools but you might not be able to do that by hand, alone.

Choke tubes need to be cleaned and reinserted with either grease or oil on the threads and body to ensure they do not become rusted in places. Grease also does a good job of keeping them snug while in place. Worst case scenario I had needed white teflon thread tape to keep the choke snug. If you are shooting a lot, like 100 sporting targets or several rounds of trap/skeet, the extended choke allows to give a quick snug check to make sure it is properly tightened - otherwise, if it works loose, it can downrange with possibly part of your barrel - not good ;)

Back