Removable Barrel Like on TV

PROSOUTH

Any suggestions on the best approach to create a 223 rifle with a removeable barrel.

I am wanting to make a small lightweight rifle to break down and go into my Duty Bag.It needs to break down to approximatly 16 inches and that being the barrel length.

I am going to use a folding stock with pistol grip and need to have a removeable barrel to finish it up.

I thought about the approach that Marlin uses on the little 22 Papoose. And then the TV came on and showed that Sniper Takedown Rifle they all use and the simple little twist to unite the barrel and action. I just couldn't resist asking about it. Anyone know how it works? And is it a good method?

PROSOUTH

Unless I'm just ignorant, I can't see how you can have a rifle like some of the bad guy snipers use in the movies and TV shows and still maintain accuracy. They open their suitcase, pop the barrel on the receiver/stock assembly, and mount the scope. Then they proceed to pop someone between the eyes at 500 meters with sub-MOA accuracy.

Buy an AR-15 Dissipator and simply break it down every time you want to dismantle it. Hollywood has fantasies about what a gun can really do. You could probably have a custom gun made up with interrupted thread and some seriously close tolerances that would perhaps print MOA groups. Plan on around $2500 minimum. You could also foot the bill for a Blaser. The Blaser breaks down to a 23" overall length and the scope mounts to the barrel. It also takes down with a single bolt and the barrel assembly removes completely.
http://www.blaserrifles.com/synth.htm

How about a Thompson Contender with a 16" carbine barrel in .223? I think there even used to be folding stocks made by Choat for them.

NJW in AZ

The AR barrel isn`t hard to dismount. However, you`ll need quite a few tools: Barrel block for the vise, pin punch and hammer (to remove the roll pin which holds the gas tube), clip-ring pliers (to remove the clip ring), barrel tool (and a torque wrench) and finally, headspace gauges to ensure that it is properly reassembled. The easier way to go is the Thompson Contender.

If you can get hold of the stuff Hollywood uses, how about getting me one of those 1000 shot "six-shooters".

Seriously, there have been takedown rifles but they have always had accuracy and headspacing problems. Around the last turn of the century, when train travel was the way to get around, Savage, Winchester, and other makers had takedown rifles and shotguns. In more recent times, the Japanese had two WWII versions of takedown rifles that were neat.

About any rifle can be made into a takedown by simply relieving the barrel shoulder so the barrel can be screwed in and out. If desired, a folding wrench can be built in. A set screw or a tapered cross pin through the receiver will keep the barrel from turning when fired.

Jim

Jim

I don't mean to ask a stupid question, but what are you trying to accomplish, other than portability? If all you are trying to accomplish is to have a 'short, portable AR-15' consider the Patriot, by Rocky Mountain Arms. While they no longer make the Patriot, due to the '93 gun laws (aka Brady bill), they are still out on the used market for about $1500 - $1900. It's a small package that uses almost all AR parts (note - their barrel is about 12 inches). I consider this my 'under 200 yards' handgun. I own several other AR15 rifles, so the mags interchange, but for traveling, my Patriot goes alongside my Mossberg Cruiser 500 along with my HK USP 45. Go to www.gunsamerica.com and use their search engine, type in Patriot.

If, on the other hand, you are trying to reach out and touch someone past 200 yards, there are several rifles that can be taken apart and then reassembled, but I am unsure of their abilities out past 200 yards. They aren't cheap, but they are out there.

Come to think of it, with a 16" barrel AR-15, why would one need to remove the barrel? Just push the take down pin out and the pivot pin and voila! You can separate the upper receiver unit from the lower unit and it`s still pretty short.

OK, first let me apologize for not giving more information.

Next let me tell of my reasons. I am a Deputy Sheriff for a small county in TN. Yes, about fifty miles from Lebanon. Which is now famous for something we all hate.

However, in our small county we have to change vehicles sometimes or share with another officer. I carry a Galati gear bag that is about 18 inches in length. If I could get a small bolt gun to break down to the 16” length and be ultra-lite I can put it in my War Bag and always have it with me.

I do own and carry an AR-15 Dissipater from Olympic Arms. And I love it. But it is much heavier and unable to meet any of the requirements. I also have my Benelli M1 Super 90, so it is hard to carry both. If I can get this breakdown rifle together I can have it all.

I am considering a SAKO mini-action for 223 built on a custom handmade stock with a side-folding butt such as the one used by Butler Creek. The stock and butte should fold down to about 16 inches OAL and the barrel being removable should be likewise in length. All of this being made to the lightest method possible. When in take-down mode it should fit in the side compartment of my bag.

The sight I planned on is a small red dot scope, such as an Aimpoint, mounted on the barrel, as is the Scout. This should maintain accuracy of the weapon. The accuracy need is between 0 and 150 yards.

The little Marlin 22 cal. Papoose is what sparked this idea. I understand how it works and I wanted to see if there was any way to improve upon or a better way to do it. I have assumed this method would adaptable to a larger caliber.

Thanks to all that responded, any further suggestions are appreciated.

PROSOUTH

since your LEO why not buy a SBR,like a AK-47
in .223 with german side folder, have a smith
make it into a SKU, or a bullpup mini-14?
how about a M-4 with 10 inch barrel?

AKS-74U has a 8 inch barrel,but is chambered
in 5.45x39. very compact gun when stock is folded.I wrote SKU. AMD 65 is another small
SBR.

crippen_964703338_123.jpg

The SIGARMS SHR 970 sells for less than $500 NIB and is designed to easily accept interchangeable barrels. The rifle is made in Switzerland, and more than a few people on this board think SIG makes a pretty good shoot'n iron. Right now you see'em in .30-06, .270, & .300 Win Mag. It's a new model, more calibers forthcoming, I expect they'll come out with a short action (.223 Rem) in the near future. No pistol grips or banana clips though so if you're looking for a bullet hose it's probably not the way to go. However, if your looking to drill the BG between the eyes from 150 yds out before he can drop kick the baby.... maybe it's something to consider. -- Kernel

[This message has been edited by Kernel (edited October 12, 2000).]

It sounds like you are thinking about my briefcase gun- the Kel-Tec Sub-9.

I love my Kel-Tec, and it was actually made with officers like you in mind. If you have one of several double-stack 9mm or .40 sidearms, you may even be able to use the same mags. More than accurate enough for shots to 150 yds.

As you are a LEO, you can get a class III mfr to make up just about anything you want. IN fact, you might not need to use a class III. Check with ATF. Get a Ruger Mini-14, folding stock, cut the bbl to 12 inches, and you will have a decent 200 yd rifle for coyotes of both 2 and 4 legged models.

Thanks for all the ideas and input from all of you.

The winner is ......... A new
Galti Pro-bag which is 29" long and a Bushmaster M17S "Bullpup" 223 rifle. It is 30" at present but will be missing about 4" of barrel soon.This making it 26" OAL. It seems to be a pretty nice little rifle from all That I have found out about it.

Thanks PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH,
I don't know if they still make it but at one time H.S.Precision made such a rifle with interchangeable .308/.300Win barrels.
I do not know if they made a .223 I think that it was called the Pro-Series Take-Down.
It seems that this rifle was built on a Remington 700 action.

I think Sauer made one also, but I do not remember the model designation.

------------------
Audemus jura nostra defendere

Back