Remounting front sight

70GTvert

Inactive
I posted this in the wrong forum earlier, my apologies. I have a new to me FI industries Model D .380, looks like a small 1911, that I was working out at outside range the other day. Works great, accurate, that is until the front sight took off to who knows where. I ordered some spares but not sure how they are remounted. The finish is blue. I see no solder in the slot which by the way has a hole in the very center that goes through the slide. Does solder adhere to a blued finish? Will trying to solder to a blued finish hurt it? Or is the hole in the center a spot where you peen the sight to the slide? This last one I won't know until I see the new sight and see if there is a part of it the goes into the hole. Are there any glues such as Gorilla super glue that could be used that can withstand the abuse it would receive being used on the slide? Any suggestions, thoughts? Thanks, John.

The bluing needs to come off before you silver solder(must be silver solder. The kind with the flux in it works just fine.). Easily done with emery paper(400 grit wet/dry sand paper.).
I'm not entirely sure why the bluing need to come off though. That's what I was told to do long ago. The Boss back then said, "Because that's how it's done."
Peening the sight into the wee hole requires special tools. And there's no guarantee the sight won't come off again.

Yes that is the front sight. Got them yesterday. So it is clear it does not get peened down. Wonder what the hole in the slide is there for then. I got 3 just in case. Each is over sized for the slot, as if to be a friction fit. I had some small long nose channel lock type pliers that had smooth grips and tried them but they wouldn't provide enough leverage to pop the blade in the slot. Then I tried another trick. I heated up one of the blades until it was cherry red and then dropped right in the slot. Figured once it cooled it would stay put. Nope fell right out. Also slid right back in so heating it shrunk it so no friction fit anymore with that one. As far as silver solder goes if bluing has to be removed first then it was not used on the blade that got lost as inside the slot is blued. For the time being I am using a little Gorilla Super Glue on the blade I heat shrunk.....will see how well that works. If it pops out I'll clean out the residual glue and take it to a local smith and let him work his magic on it.

Back