Remote location shooting

BAB

I have read many posts on this forum, as well as read many instances of, gunowners giving accounts of how they drive out to some remote location (in AZ, CA, UT, etc...) and do some shooting. My question is...how is this done? Where does one find land that no one cares if someone sets up shop to shoot at makeshift targets for a little while? Is this land owned by the government? Is it public open space? Is it not owned? (is there a such thing these days???) Where is this legal? I am asking because I know of no such places where I could just drive out to and shoot and not be harassed/arrested, though I'd love to do it! If anyone could fill me in on where those of you who do it go, and the legality issues involved, that would be excellent. Also, if you know of anywhere here in CO (front range/northeast plains region) where I could do this, let me know!!

Take care all.

Many times you can contact the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) who can give you a map of areas you may shoot (general use area?). I went to a BLM ranger station in the high desert and asked, "Can you show me a location where I might target shoot?" I was given a flat, "No. I'll sell you a map and you can figure it out for yourself."

Unfortunately, the map was set up in BLM sectors or something, so there was no way you could orient the thing properly and know, exactly, where shooting was acceptable. There was no topographical information, but only some rough road illustrations that were ballpark at best.

I have had good luck asking some of the local gun shop clerks or patrons, after hanging out, spending some money, showing that you are "cool" etc.
The locals know where all the good stuff is.

thaddeus

Back