Remolding Kydex?

Biner

Pardon if this has been discussed, but can a Kydex holster be reheated and remolded to fit a different but similar gun? I've got a couple of leather and Kydex IWB holsters made for my TCP .380 and I'm looking at acquiring a Sig P238. I've not tried the Sig in any of my holsters, but if the fit is close, I was considering reheating the Kydex and forming it onto the new gun (if I do end up getting it). Any thoughts?

You can try, but its not likely going to come out like youre hoping, and you'll probably end up with an unusable holster.

I did successfully modify an AlienGear Kydex plate to fit a similar model. Need to make sure to use a leather strip to help hold hot spots in place. It is serviceable, but not pretty.

Thanks gents. I have a friend who's made a few Kydex holsters and his advice today echoed a combination of what both of you said.

After comparing the two guns side by side, I think I'd be asking for trouble trying to make either holster fit the P238, since it's slightly bigger. I could see trying to change one from a TCP to an LCP, but I think going TCP to P238 would be a fool's errand. Plus, a good gun's worthy of a good holster. Doesn't make sense to cheap out on it. ;)

It's easy. Heat the Kydex with a heat gun until it's very pliable. Insert the gun, and mash the entire holster/gun with a piece of foam.
If you screw it up, reheat it and do it again. Kydex is very forgiving and tries to revert to a flat sheet when heated.

You really need a press to get a proper fit. Heating it with a heat gun until it starts to give, and trying to get a good fit, will be very challenging. That can work for adjusting an improperly fitted holster or sheath though, but even then, you need ot be careful.

Most commercial holsters are made in a mold, and there is more to worry about besides the gun pocket itself, especially if you get carried away with the heat.

Worst that can happen is you have to buy a new holster.
Im betting thats going to be the result.

Theres a bit more to it, than just heating it up and jamming the gun in there.

Its one thing to start from scratch, and have the tools. Trying to take a pre made holster, and have it "properly" fit something else, especially without tools, is going to be difficult. Kydex isnt hard to work with, and its really a lot of fun, but things can get complex in a hurry, and require a good bit of thought, and some skill, if you want a good, functional job.

holster

I've used a microwave very successfully with these holsters to reform them.

Remove all metal first and set heat setting fairly low for a short time and see how that works for you. You can always notch it up a bit if necessary.

Good to know it can be stretched. That said, I think I've convinced myself not to try it this time around. (All the advice above has been noted for future reference, though. Thanks.)

I've got two different holsters for my TCP. One is a Crossbreed MicroClip that uses relatively thin Kydex. The other is an Old Faithful Stealth-Tuck that uses .093" material, which is quite a bit stiffer. Turns out Old Faithful sells replacement Kydex shells for under $20 shipped, so I just bought one of those.

At this point I'm planning to set up the beefier Old Faithful holster for the P238 and keep the MicroClip set up for the TCP as an ultralight rig. Those will be my light clothes weapons, and I have my Shield 9mm in a Galco King Tuck for the colder months.

The new P238 is on its way and should be here in the next couple of days. I'm chompin' at the bit to get some rounds through it.

Back