Remmy 788 .308 Extractor

gilldawg79

Inactive
I have a 308 788 that I'm working on getting ready for my daughter to use for deer season this year. I traded for it knowing some of its inherent weaknesses. Upon inspection of the bolt and bolt face, the extractor looks worn. I cant find much info on changing the extractor out....Help. I have the parts on order. 2 extractors, 2 rivets, and an ejector and ejector pin. I'm pretty handy but, this looks intricate....Am I making this out to be more than it really is, or shall I let a smith take care of it? I compared the bolt face with another 788 in 243 and it really looked just the same, but I didn't run any rounds through it..

So to make sure I am correct, the extractor grabs the round and pulls it out of the chamber and the ejector flings it out. Is that correct?

Thank you!

Jimmy

Extractor extracts and ejector ejects. Don't replace the extractor until you confirm that it doesn't work. Shoot it first and if it works, leave it alone and save your ducats for other things.

Does it look like this?

attachment.php

Works fine.

Attachments

• 788_extractor.jpg
    788_extractor.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 82
Again. Looks like the typical Rem 700 spring type extractor. Leave it alone. Take it to the range and see if it works before you do anything else (other than clean it in anticipation of the range trip).

I replaced a Rem 700 extractor and put a SAKO type claw on. Why? Because it was part of the class and the learning experience. Left on my own devices, I would have kept the Rem 700 extractor. In the event of a cartridge failure, the bolt head is designed to seal the breech and prevent the gases from blowing back to the user. When you have the bolt face cut away for a SAKO type claw extractor, you've just compromised on a safety feature of the bolt.

Gary, I agree. For a while every inquiry about a Remington 700 was answered by "put in a Sako extractor" even if the OP wanted to mount a scope. The Remington extractor is almost always perfectly OK, and not really hard to replace, and it preserves an important safety factor.

Jim

Back