Remmington M870 Question

Nightcrawler

Okay, as my quest for a keeper shotgun continues, and I continue my research, I'm beginning to think I like the 870. I mean, the Mossy 590A1 may be more durable than a typical Mossy 500, but the Rem870 basic model has a steel receiver that even the "Mil-Spec" 590A1 lacks, and that, to me, spells durability. 870s also have more parts, barrels, and accessories available than the 590 model. I think DaveMcC will be proud of me. :D

The dimpled magazine tube bugs me. I want a large-capacity magazine. I know, I know, I don't "need" one, but I WANT one. I know you just have to dremmel the dimples out, and I heard something about a de-dimpling kit available from somebody. Do all the new 870s have this irritating feature, or just the Express models? (There's very few used long guns for sale around here ever, so getting what you're looking for can be very difficult, and I prefer new anyway).

Okay, about the mag tube extensions. In my Cabela's catalog, they have three models for the M870. A 7 round, an 8 round, and a 10 round. What is the minimum barrel length you can use each magazine tube with? (Aesthetically, I don't want the mag tube to extend past the barrel...it just looks silly...I'd probably go with the 7 round tube on a 20" barrel)

Tell me about chokes, too. I'm interested in the 20" smooth barrel with rifle sights, and the Cabela's catalog lists one model with RemChoke, and the other with Improved Cylinder. How do these relate to shooting slugs? For simplicity sakes, I'd prefer a 20" smoothbore, cylinder bore barrel with iron sights.

I figure, being on the college budget that I am, if I can save up and get a good shotgun, it'll cover all of my shooting needs for the foreseeable future, even if I decide to start hunting (probably wont', but you never know).

Thanks in advance for any info! :)

870's

From what I have been able to discern, all new 870's regardless of the model have the dimples. Possibly some PD models might come through without them, but the new ones I have seen all have the dimples.

If I were you I would search for a good used Wingmaster 870. The old guns, especially the wingmaster, just seem to have a better finish on them. Remington's newer guns seem to not have the care taken in manufacturing as the older guns IMHO. If you are near a Trap and Skeet club or other type of range check the bulletin boards for people selling guns, often you can find good guns for a fair price. Most ranges have a bulletin board where members can sell stuff. Or ask the trap boys (girls:)), sometimes they know of guns for sale. Good 870's are out there, you just have to look for them.

I used to want new guns, untill I discovered that older guns are often built better than the newer offerings. the last four guns I have purchased have all been used, and I kick myself for not buying used previously. remember, as soon as you shoot it, the guns is used and like an automobile, you eat the depreciation.

My$.02 as usual

Geoff Ross

I'm proud of ya, Son, right proud(G).....

The dimples are, as I understand, easily remedied. A minor annoyance,IMO.TTBOMK, they're now universal, and nigh universally loathed.

7(6+1) round extensions are the same length as the 18" bbl, the 8 round,20, and the 28" bbl would be proper with the 10 round job.

In's truth, I think the 7 round handles the best, but I obsess over balance. My little HD 870 with it's bare legal bbl does handle nicely, even with 00. So does the Deer 870, but it's not quite as fast. Still fast, tho.

An IC choked 12 ga will do yeoman service on winged and small game up to 25 yards, maybe a little further with the optimum load.

Smoothbore 870s have maybe a 50 yard slug capability with a good hand on them and those iron sights.

Your point about aftermarket stuff applies. No other shotgun can be so customized and give the shooter what he/she wants and/or can afford.

Timney even makes a whole trigger group with adjustability and crispness.

BTW, even now, most 870s come out of the box with acceptable slap triggers, and there's lots of smiths around who can slick up an 870 trigger now.

I could work with just an iron sighted bbl on a GP shotgun, but I'd want a bead sighted bbl also. One step at a time...

And choke tubes vs the simplicity of a fixed choke, it's a tossup. Two of my 870 12 gauges have tubes,two do not. ANY fixed choke will work if you set up shot opportunities for that particular range where you get a tight pattern with maybe 30" of spread.

An IC would be a hair tight for a grouse gun and a bit open for geese over decoys, but it would serve for either if pressed, and for the HD/"Serious" stuff also. A

An alternative, get the Express Turkey model with the 21" tube. Add IC and Modifed tubes, and save up for a slug bbl.

Trust me, there's no practical difference in a "Serious" shotgun with a 21" bbl vs the 18" one.

Most folks can do as well to 50 yards with a bead as those "Rifle sights".The sight radius is just too darn short for best work. So, with no further major expense,you're as versatile as one can, with a shotgun that will serve generations if need be.

And any upgrades you make can be done at your own pace, w/o leaving you lacking a good shotgun, now or soon.

And everybody should have one good shotgun....

I think I've found a good one!

First I went to Dick's Favorite Sports, one of our to local gun stores. The only 870 they had was a used. The finished had that nice worn, broken in look to it, and the action was slick, and for $129, it's hard to go wrong. But, it had a 26" barrel, so I priced it and moved on to the Copper Country Mall, in which there is a Dunham's sports store. There they had three 870 express models. A 26" trap model, and two 20" slug guns, one with a rifled barrel (more expensive, and no buckshot capability? No thanks!) and one with a 20" smooth barrel with rifle sights and a Improved Cylinder choke (I believe it's a fixed choke). I handled the gun and worked the action (couldn't try the trigger, as Dunham's has a store policy where they're not allowed to take the trigger lock off). Unlike some other shotguns I've handled, the 870 feels solid as a brick. You can feel the difference the steel receiver makes. And doggone it, it looks just right, too.

Now, all I need to do is get $279. :D I'm going to sell my Winchester 94AE Trapper soon, I should be able to get $200 for that, BUT, I need to spend $125 on a dorm reservation fee for Northern Michigan University.

I think I'm in love, though. Just out of curiosity, when did Remington start producing the Model 870?

stupid dimple tricks

Here's a little trick for removing the mag tube dimple. There are other ways but this worked for me on my 870 Express.

I was futzing around in the garage one day when a light bulb went on over my head. There's a Craftsman socket, (it's been years so I forget the size,) that fits exactly inside the mag tube. I tapped the socket in there with a hammer, far enough to go past the dimple, and backed it out using a ratchet. This almost completely knocked the dimple out. The small bump that was left was easily removed with a dremel tool. Voila! No more dimple and on went the mag tube extension. Mine's a 18" barrel with a 7-round extension.

Here it is...

870expd.jpg

Just looks so right. :D

Regarding the question of whether the dimples are on all new production guns, the answer is that yes they are except for the 870 Police model. I am not sure about the Marine Magnum but if I had to guess I would say the 870MM also has the dimples.

I thought RemChoke was Remington's proprietary name for its removable choke system, not a separate choke itself? Anyway, you don't *need* removable chokes, a cylinder bore will do quite nicely for slugs and buckshot -- but if you intend to use that barrel for hunting with birdshot, you may want to consider a barrel with RemChokes.

As mentioned, nothing wrong with used guns that have been maintained properly. The used 870 may have an advantage in that it doesn't have the nice internal gunlock that Farnam reported as being capable of activation without the key.

HTH,

Justin

I've been through a couple 870's, kept the Marine Magnum. You can just drill the dimples out, quicker and cleaner than the Dremel. Remington used to supply some of the giant retailers with 870's that had alloy receivers instead of steel, don't know if that's still the case. Take a magnet with you...

Huh?

What internal gunlock? The Remington website doesn't say anything about an internal gun lock.

Hell, they don't even advertise their 18" riot barrels anymore. What a shame to see such a good company go so sickeningly PC.

USED

I'm a little worried that if I get the used instead of the new, it'll need refinishing, parts replacement, etc. Besides, new barrels cost over a hundred dollars, and I have no idea where to get a used barrel around here.

So, whenever I get the money, I'll be getting a new shotgun.

Used 870 is the best bet. I doubt you will need to relpace any parts. As to the barrel any gunsmith should be able to shorten it and re-bead sight it for $30.00. Or use a hacksaw and file makeing sure to keep to the 18" min. I just picked up a used 870 for cheap and put a 20" barrel on it. I am going to use the crap out of it and not worry about the finish, when it starts to pit someday I will have it bead blasted and parked.

Internal Locks?

Oh, that must be the new locking safety button found on all new Remingtons. You can tell these guns by the two green plastic thingies hanging on the trigger guard on guns in the gun racks in the stores. The safety is said to be a real PITA and rumor has it that it can lock up the gun unexpectedly. Guns without the new safety are more desirable IMHO.

Another reason to buy an older gun:)

Of course if you have your heart set on a new gun, buy it! You can change out the safety button later.

If the gun in the store does not have the locking safety, grab it and don't look back.

Justin, I thought that Marine magnums already have an extended magazine tube?

Geoff Ross

Hrmm...

I didn't get a good look at the trigger assembly because of the trigger lock the store had on the gun. How does this "locking saftey" look compared to the regular trigger block cross=bolt saftey?

If I get the used, it has a finish that's a little worn, sort of like the shotgun in this photo.

12-gauge-dvic519.jpg

If I put a new barrel on it, it won't match! LOL But the big thing is, an extra barrel will cost along the lines of $140, as I want the 20", smoothbore, rifle sighted one, and the ONLY used 870 for sale around here has a 26" trap barrel.

I have no idea how old the used 870 is. It costs $129, and appears to be in solid condition, if that's of any help. I just wonder...if I get the used 870, will it last me for years and years?

Maybe getting it refinished would be in order eventually. Of course, being an older 870, it won't have those irritating magazine tube dimples. Hmmm...I've got a while to think about it still.

FWIW, I wish like heck I could get a shotgun like the one in the pic there. *sigh*

[Edited by Nightcrawler on 05-23-2001 at 11:03 PM]

Looks like the young serviceman in the photo above lost his front sight post. Probably broke it off in some Iraqis' a$$h*le. -- Kernel-- Kernel

Ooh one more question!

If I get the used 870, is there any particular thing I should do to it to ensure it lasts longer? What should I look for when examining the finish?

And what's this I read about declining Remington quality control? Will I be better off going with the used 870?

[Edited by Nightcrawler on 05-24-2001 at 01:39 AM]

Dipples???

What's all this talk of dimples? It's a shame if REM is now neutering the 870 Marine Mag's full potential... I bought one(new) back in 96 or so.. I fricken love it.. not a single patch of rust or ding in this thing.. and I haven't been babying it either. It holds 7 out of the box... this thing is still stock. The 6 round (3inchers) tube on it is even with the 18 inch barrel. I'd save up, and/or wait for a Marine Magnum to bless you with it's presence.. you'll not be disappointed.

It's just amazing how this thread lit up in a few hours. A really helpful buncha folks.....

First, my spare parts supply for all of the 870s would fit into a Happy Meal box. Gotta firing pin and spring,bolt carrier, mag donut, and lifter, all left over from divers conversions. Had a spare bolt,but it's in Frankenstein now.

BTW, NEVER had one thing break on a personal 870, despite thousands of rounds fired.....

If t'were me, I mighta run a coupla stop signs on the way back to pick up that used one for $129. H*ll, I'd drive to Northern Pa or NY to get a classic 870 for that price, assuming no rust or big dents. And that holds for 2 3/4" only 870s.

Remember what I said about one step at a time?

Buy used 870 for a pittance.

Use same as is until some discretionary cash shows up and....

Have smith cut/crown bbl and mount bead.

Next, buy 2 shot extension and self-install.

Have smith lengthen forcing cone.

"........." set up for choke tubes.

And all through this,buy the cheapest ammo around and shoot it up. Repeat often.

By this point, you'll be effective with your 870 and maybe well past that.

An 870 for $129.00?!?! If you decide not to RUN over there and bring it home PLEASE tell us where gun shop the poor thing is being held captive so one of us listers can give it a good home.

Back