Reminiscences....

BigG

Guys let me tell you a little about myself... I grew up in the fifties and sixties and was first introduced to guns by my father, who was a competent handler but not as big a gun nut as I turned out to be. He allowed me to work for Don Sanderson, a custom pistol grip maker well known at Camp Perry, when I was 14. By the time I was 16 I was working part time at the biggest gun shop in the area. My father allowed me to buy a Model 1911A1 US Army and a Browning pocket 380 that year. I later bought 3 Belgian Browning automatics, a 30 ’06, a 12 gauge, and a 22 LR.

I was exposed to the guns I couldn’t touch through various gun magazines, such as Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo, Gun Digest, and I forget what else. The writers I cut my teeth on were Elmer Keith, Jack O’Connor, Col. Charles Askins, Skeeter Skelton. Jeff Cooper. I think the most influential was Elmer Keith, I had to have a S&W Model 29 after reading his exploits at 600 yards using one!! Charlie Askins and his border patrol stories were also read with relish.

The Mas Ayoobs and other guys were far in the future. They just do not have the color of those ol’ fellers! :)

Anyway, the one gun I came to love the most was the 1911A1 and the commercial Colts based on it. I have owned dozens of guns, perhaps more than 100, I’ve never toted them up. But I’ve sold or traded them all over the years, except for the trusty Colt 45 Automatic.

Just felt like rambling... :D ain't guns great!!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Yeah, Charlie was, uh, colorful allrighty. :)

To answer your presumably rhetorical question: youdamnskippy!

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Back