Remington UMC 125gr JSP 357

wild cat mccane

Hello there,

I picked up 1,00 round of Remingtons UMC 125gr JSP 357mag rounds during the Black Friday rebate.

I haven't shot any, but looking around, are these the super stout rounds that periodically get mentioned for harsh recoil and possible wear to the forcing cone?

Thanks!

I find that the 158gr loads have more recoil than the lighter ones. If youre shooting out of an all steel gun, you shouldnt have an issue with that ammo, an ultralight will give you a good amount of recoil though. The only issue Ive had with the remington is that its a little on the dirty side.

Good question.

I don't have an answer for you but wasn't the forcing cone issue mainly a problem with the S&W K frame revolvers?

Someone with revolver expertise would be appreciated and I'm sure they are on the way.

125gr. full power loads are not good for the forcing cones of any 357 revolver. Awhile back a poster attached pics of his ruger gp100 with the forcing cone heavily eroded from a lot of full power 125gr. loads.

Jim

I think they are the full power ones, 1450 FPS. I almost bought a 6" Nickel Python one time but backed out due to a very, very worn forcing cone. The rest of the gun was beautiful.

I've chrono'd them at 1285 fps with an extreme spread of 15 fps over 6-shots. Grouping from my 4" barrel S&W M19 runs down around 2" at 25 yds. It's good ammuntion. But even in a 38 oz. (unloaded) revolver, recoil and muzzle blast are considerable. From a light weight J-frame, it'd be heroic to say the least.

The problem with forcing cone erosion was caused by 110 gr (read very short bodied bullets) that allowed gas blow by as the bullet passed between the cylinder face and the forcing cone as it enters the rifling.

Rod

Back