Remington Synthetic Barrels any good?

Sambonator

Anyone have or know about the new series of Remington rifles with the synthetic barrel? It looks very interesting...but how does it hold up to heat? How is its accuracy? What are its benefits and drawbacks? (I know 1 benefit is lower weight)

Sambonator,
I don't have any personal experience with these barrels, but Charlie Petty has done some testing of both the Remington and Volquartsen synth barrels, and finds them to be quite good. His Volquartsen is based on the Ruger 10/22, but scaled up for .22 Mag, and he says it's one of the most accurate rifles he's ever shot.
The composite barrels help disipate heat more quickly than steel with flutes. The inner barrel, or sleeve, is steel, and threaded at the front. A nut is tightened down over the assembled barrel and holds tension on the sleeve. This gives the barrel the stiffness it needs for good accuracy, and the patterns of the "weave" of the composite threads gives them a kind of neat look. This idea may take a while to catch on, and I don't think it'll ever replace all steel barrels, but it seems like a good one. Great accuracy, reduced weight, better heat dissipation, rust resistance-what more could one ask for?

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

These new carbon fiber barrels would be ideal for a machinegun with interchangeable barrels. Not only would the installed barrel take longer to heat up, the extra spare barrels would weigh less.

Who makes them and how do the compare pricewise to steel barrels? (Douglass, Hart, Shilen, etc.....)

These are still new to the market and volume is low so, they are pricey. Expect about an $800 premium for a rifle with one of these barrels when you look at a Remington bolt gun. This hold true for the factory Remingtons and the custom shops like Christensen Arms who have been doing this for a few years.

At this years SHOT SHOW, I had the pleasure of handling these Remingtons. I must say having a full bull barrel hunting rifle that weighs like a normal rifle is very appealing. Add all that stiffness and heat dissapation and you have a rifle that people will actually lug around and use with joy!

Sid

Back