Remington sps tactical .308 or Weatherby Vanguard S2 varmint .308?

Hossless

Hey all, been a while. I'm wanting to purchase an accurate shooting hunting/tactical rifle in .308 with heavy barrel - economically priced. I have done a lot of research, and the Remington sps tactical for around 600 bucks has gotten some very good reviews regarding accuracy, has a 20" heavy barrel - but the hogue stock (forend) is very flexible when shooting from a rest or bi pod. I could'nt find much info regarding real world reviews on the Weatherby Vanguard S2 varmint rifle. It has a 22" heavy barrel and runs about 600 bucks ><. Never owned a Remnington 700 action rifle - I have owned a weatherby and liked it. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I think all this "flexible stock" talk is just that. I can't imagine how it could flex. I've got a SPS Buckmasters and it shoots sub-MOA groups all day long. I'm shooting from the bench and using an old Outers Varminter rifle rest. Flex? Come on. :rolleyes:

This is what I have been reading - Great accuracy. sps tactical

From what I have read, the forend of the stock, when placed on a rest or bi-pod, pushes the stock against the barrel - flexible. But, people have also been reporting no adverse affects from this in accuracy.

I have also been looking at the Savage 12fvss, but it's about a hundred buck more than the sps tactical, and with a 26" barrel. Many seem to be convinced a shorter (20") barrel gives the best accuracy, and you aren't sacrificing too much in the way of velocity via the shorter barrel.
Hmm, also thinking about the CZ 550 vamint .308, thats another 50-100 bucks. I just may go with the sps tactical - I figure it's probably the most bang for my buck, and it'd be a great hunting rifle and if SHTF long range tactical also. Decisions, decisions

Thanks for the replies

I've probably got the same Hogue stock that you do, and flex isn't a problem for me. I've got the one with the aluminum bedding channel and it sure improved the shooting of the rifle I put it on.

Warbirdlover, I don't believe the sps buckmasters rifle has the hogue stock. The hogue stock is the one that's fairly flexible at the forend.

Hossless, I'm curious if you purchased your rifle yet. If so, which did you go with? I personally own a Vanguard S2 .308 and I love it, mine is the 24". Weatherby is good to their word when they guarantee sub moa out of the box. I hit 3/4" groups typically with premium ammo. I have made no mods to this gun with the exception of a scope, rings and base. I would like to add the DBM kit if Weatherby would ever make one for the .308 model... If you haven't made your purchase yet, I hope this helps.

I have the SPS in .308 but with a longer, heavy barrel. When I was sighting it in for the first time, I walked it into my left target, switched to my right target and fired a sub MOA group at 200 yards. The rifle fired about 15 rounds at that point.

I took the target to the gun shop where I bought it and they had the target posted on the wall for a month. It made me proud!

Flash

IMO the best out of the box heavy bbl. 308 is the Sako Varmint SS,take a look at it. I know, more $$ but with good factory ammo it's a one hole shooter.

Back