Remington SPS standard accuracy?

Knm84

Inactive
I am considering the purchase of a remington SPS with standard barrel in .243. Everything I have read on forums for the last 2 days is that the stock is junk. My question is will the factory set up be good enough for a back up gun and accuracy for hunting up to 200 yards? Thanks for and advice

I have a SPS in .308 Winchester for a little more than a year. I have been pretty happy with the rifle in terms of accuracy as couple of factory loads will group 1" or less for 5 shot groups if I keep the barrel cool between shots. Few weeks ago I shot two groups right at 1/2" group with a Hornady and Remington hunting ammo. So far the longest shot I've taken is on a 130 lb hog from 219 steps using a tripod for support. It has taken several hogs and deer at closer range without problem. The stock is not the best but it will work okay as a "working" rifle. The trigger is not very refined and heavy and I have not been able to improve it much.

I have several Remington 700 rifles starting with a 1974 BDL and they have all worked well. They are not the most refined rifles around but they work and are reliable.

Thanks for the reply. This gun will be a work horse, a ride along on the yamaha, and carry in bad conditions. It will be a great back up to my 700 BDL 30-06

One thing I didn't like was that hollow sound when you bump the stock.
I took the recoil pad off and filled the hollow stock with a shaped styrofoam block and then a little expanding foam to hold it in place.

The factory stock will shoot as accurately as a $600 custom synthetic as long is it fits correctly. That said, I don't like most of the factory synthetics and generally replace most of them with better stocks. I've never had one shoot better afterward. They may have looked a lot better, been lighter and felt better which is what I paid for. But none were any more accurate.

If you tell your wife it will make the gun more accurate it makes it easier for her to understand you spending the money vs telling her it makes the rifle look nicer.

One thing I didn't like was that hollow sound when you bump the stock.
I took the recoil pad off and filled the hollow stock with a shaped styrofoam block and then a little expanding foam to hold it in place.

Another option that I've found easier it to fill the hollow area with packing peanuts. Overfill so when you put the recoil pad back on it compresses the peanuts. Works just as well, is easier and less messy than expanding foam. You can take it out later if you want too.

jmr40,
That styro peanut idea is good one. I'll try that in future.

Knm84,
SPS stocks have two pressure pads at the end of the stock pressing on the barrel. I know everybody talks about free floating barrel as being best for accuracy but I don't fully agree with that. In my experience free floating barrel is most accurate for sustained fire where barrel gets hot so for target shooting multiple rounds, varmint shooting or other situations where you fire multiple rounds in limited time it is the way to go. In hunting you only fire one or two rounds at most so the barrel doesn't get hot for the second shot and in that situation pressed barrel will shoot just as accurate or maybe even more accurate. Most important is the first shot out of cold barrel so you want to make sure you know where it will hit.

In terms of synthetic stocks I currently have four different rifles with them. I have a rifle with the current SPS plastic stock, two Remington 700 with the older ADL synthetic stock, A Savage 10 with synthetic stock and the Marlin XL with the synthetic stock. IMHO both SPS and ADL Remington stocks are better in terms of flexibility and design than the Savage or Marlin stock. Marlin is not bad but the Savage stock is the worst. Savage stock almost feels like something off of a toy rifle. In addition, with the Savage stock when I have the proper cheek weld the eye is level with the top of the barrel which is too low even when using low mounted scope.

IF you have the opportunity check couple rifles as some have good trigger while others are not very good. Mine is not very good so it makes it harder to shoot accurately.

Enjoy the rifle!

Will the SPS work as a truck/rider gun? Sure it will just like an Axis/Edge from Savage, Ruger American or any of the other offerings. The great thing about the 700 platform is that you can change parts and upgrade over time with any number of offerings. Buy it and use it, when you can replace the stock and trigger and you'll be amazed at the results.

Back