Remington Sportsmaster

dayman

I have a Remington Sportsmaster, but the Serial number is just LG68. If I'm reading that correctly, it would indicate that the manufacture was in February of 1938, but according to the internet they were only manufactured from 1940 on.
It's a model 51_. I assume 512, but the top of the barrel got dinged at some point and the end of the model number is gone.
Also, the roll mark is not the same as the pictures I can find on the internet. "Sportsmaster" is in small plain text as apposed to the fancier lettering on the one pictured on wikipedia.
I inherited the gun from my dad via my grandfather when I turned 8, and it was the gun that I learned to shoot on, so I was just trying to get an idea of how old it is before I give it to my son. He's turning 1 next month, so it's not like there's a rush.

Last edited:
Is your gun tube-fed or clip/magazine fed? If it has the tube, it is a 512. If it has the clip style magazine then it would be a 511. If it has factory scope grooves, then it would be a 512X or 511X. These guns were known for exceptional accuracy. I've got a 512X that is in poor shape that I want to try and restore.

Back