Remington Sendero stainless Vs. Reminton BDL stainless

NCglocker

Inactive
Okay, I am trying to narrow my search for a new rifle down. I am considering the 700 bdl ss, and the sendero stainless. I will most likely get this in 7mm rem mag. How much better is the accuracy of the sendero?

I have a 700 bdl in 30-06 now, but it is about 20 years old and I wish to retire it and start using another rifle as to not wear out the passed down 30-06. So is the accuracy difference that much better in the sendero? I like the fluted barrel and the synthetic stock setup, but does all that really make a difference in hunting conditions/environment?
I intend on putting a leupold var x III with a 50mm objective...
Any advice on differences would be great.

NCglocker

This is all going to depend on what you are going to do with this rifle. If you are going to hike with this gun, do all day hunting by foot, the BDL S/S will be the better choice. If truck hunting (Very popular here in Oregon. Yahoo!) sitting in one spot for long periods of time, moving from one location to another by motor vehicle, the Sendero SF is the better gun.
The Sendero is most likely a under 1" MOA @ 100 yards, don't think that the BDL S/S is going to do that. But, the BDL S/S is more of a traditional hunting rifle, hitting a pie pan size target is all it is meant to do.

I've helped several friends sight in their new Rem. ADL's and BDL's. Rarely will one of the new Rems, with the trigger adjusted down to about 2.5-3#, not shoot 1". I've seen Sendaro's shooting consistent .5" groups.

The fluting helps with the weight some on the Sendaro, but it would be pretty tough lugging it around in hilly country. The HS Precision, aluminum-bedding block stock that comes on the Sendaro retails for around $260.

For long-range shooting, the Sendaro is definitely superior. It's just a matter of how far you want to be able to hit something and how far you're going to haul your rifle on hunts.

I use my Sendero for everything, but, to be honest, I'd reccomend a lighter rifle to most people for regular use. Think of all the times that you carry a rifle allllll day, and never see anything. I did that all this weekend, and was kind of glad my Sendy's scope was on the fritz, and couldn't be carried; 4 miles of walking the high desert mountains with an 11 lb package wasn't my idea of real fun. Sure, I had cross-canyon shots possible. But if you have the time to get a rest (more possible on lonnnnng range shots), you could make them with a lesser rifle. Although inherently accurate, the Sendero's features mostly just allow the shooter to attain his accuracy easier. Heavier rifles have more inertia and wobble less and thicker barrels are stiffer, and that big Bell and Carlson stock is easier to use. Of course the bedding is superb, but you can bed a regular BDL.

If you're not of a big frame like me (6'5", 230lb), you'll appreciate carrying around a lighter rifle more than the ease of long shots. It's possible to get the same inherent accuracy into a light rifle-- it's just harder to use it.

FWIW, the last 06 I owned was the Remington Stainless Synthetic Mountain Rifle, the light bbled 700 variant.This'un had the Leopold 3.5-10X scope on it.

After some judicious bedding and trigger work, it would put factory loads into 1" at one hundred yards, the first rifle I've owned that would do so except custom bench/varmint rifles of great weight.

Groups had to be slow fired,with up to 10 minutes between shots, to do this. That light bbl heated up quickly.

A caveat, while 300 yard deer rifles are rare, 300 yard deer gunners are rarer yet...

NC. Wear out a 30-06???? Unless you are shooting 2 or 3 thousand rounds a year, rapid fire, I seriously doubt you will wear it out. I have on 06 made in 1950, that's 49 years ago, and It ain't wore out yet. I've probably put an average of 5 to 600 hot handloads a year through that rifle. It's an old Sear J.C. Higgin model 50 put together for Sears by High standard. It will still do 1 inch groups with loads it likes. I don't hunt with it much anymore because it is too damn heavy, and I'm too damn old. But I still take it to the range on a rather regular basis.
Like the others have said, it depends on what type of shooting you plan on doing that decides which rifle to buy.
Paul B.

Back