Remington Rolling Block Sight

Doc Hoy

Bought this rifle a coupla weeks ago and it had been modified with a very recent and very inappropriate looking target sight.

So I knocked it off and made a sight that is more fitting for the rifle.

I started with round stock this time. I reasoned that I could machine the round stock in such a way as to leave a nub for the center.

Here is a better shot of the remaining center nub.

Went to town on the stock in the milling machine

RRB Sight Cont.

Finished up the rough sight with the mill.

Cut it to final front to back dimension, which for this rifle is .275

Very out of focus photo but I got the final side to side dimension by cutting the sides down symmetrically using a depth gauge to carefully measure how much to take off. I know the sight blade is as the center because the nub that I left on the round stock is at the center.

Cut the rough sight blank off of the stock in the lathe.

RRB Sight Cont.

Here is the rough sight

Gets smoothed up with a file and dovetailed for the barrel.

I blued the sight with cold blue after installation.

I made two of these sights. I used the first of them for the rifle and am just hanging on to the second. Dimensions are slightly different between the sights.

I am not much of a machinist nor am I much of a photographer, but I do enjoy messing with this stuff.

Nice work DocHoy.

Today I finished making an octagon barrel. I left the barrel on the milling machine and will be milling out the dovetail slots for the front & rear sights either tomorrow or on Monday.

Gary and TK

Gary,

I would love to see some photos of how the barrel went.

TK,

Thanks for the compliment. I made the mistake of getting a machine that was a combination mill and lathe. The outcome was that it wasn't really good at either function.

I sold it and bought individual machines and I am glad I did. Neither of the machines I have are large enough for real gun smithing.

Back