Remington Rifle with Hexagon Barrel

Radar51

Inactive
I Remington rifle with a hexagon barrel. I inherited it from my grandfather. On the barrel it states it was made in NY, and has the number J209808, then there is a 32 which I believe is the caliber. Close to the stock is the letter P. It is a single shot and has a rear breach. The barrel is 23-3/8 inches. It comes apart and easily and is two pieces. It has a single hammer that you pull back to safety and then pull back to fire, and has a breach with a firing pin in it that you pull back to load your shell. I am not trying sell this gun, just trying to find out how old it is and what it would be worth.

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I am a newbie.

most of those were rimfire as well... & the actions aren't known for there strength... not strong enough to go to a 22 Hornet, or even safely convert to the 32 centerfires

nice old rifles in thier own rite though... if I had one, I'd probably have my machinist buddy make me a 22 lr chamber insert & reline the barrel unless it were in good enough shape to leave as a safe queen

You might have typoed the SN, since Remington only made about 360,000 of the petite #4 Rolling Block rifles, 1890-1933.
They were classed/sold as "Boy's Rifles".

Some were made with round bbls, some with octagonal bbls, in both solid or takedown frames.

They are ID by being the only RB rifle w/o a lower action tang.

The #4 was chambered only for RF cartidges.
I've converted solid-frame .32RF specimens to centerfire, as the commercially-available .32 Short Colt will chamber/fire safely - but wouldn't recommend doing so with a thinner takedown frame.

Back