Remington Rand 1911

Bfishj

Inactive
I was hoping you could share what you know about this Remington Rand 1911. I have no history on the gun but I am curious about its rating and approximate value. Is the white infill typical. It looks to be I very good shape and doesn’t appear to be refinished. I haven’t taken it apart yet but it likely has the HS barrel. All other marks appear to be correct. Appreciate your insight!

Attachments

• 3C1CCE9D-D293-48E7-B760-4965C5CFB310.jpeg
    3C1CCE9D-D293-48E7-B760-4965C5CFB310.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 1E724337-B40F-404A-8572-AAB1C49BC62A.jpeg
    1E724337-B40F-404A-8572-AAB1C49BC62A.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 154
  • FCF14210-ACDD-49D8-95F3-64407DFE78A7.jpeg
    FCF14210-ACDD-49D8-95F3-64407DFE78A7.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 150
Pics

More pics

Attachments

• 07E7BED9-41AE-466F-A390-729F989CFE1C.jpeg
    07E7BED9-41AE-466F-A390-729F989CFE1C.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 11CB3B98-4581-4895-9807-E8FEAD6828DB.jpeg
    11CB3B98-4581-4895-9807-E8FEAD6828DB.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 9870ECD9-64C2-4B75-BD2F-10BC315CDDCE.jpeg
    9870ECD9-64C2-4B75-BD2F-10BC315CDDCE.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 97
I'm not an RR expert, but it does not look to have been refinished or messed-with.
Someone will probably come along who knows how many serrations should be on the mainspring housing, the correct configuration of the grip screws for the serial number range, etc.

A 1944 Remington Rand. Like RickB, I can't say if everything is correct and original but it looks good.
White paint in the roll marks is NOT GI.

That's a beautiful gun. Please don't irrevocably modify it. If you want to remove the white markings use lacquer thinner.

Looks right, some regular wear, very good example of the era.

the white marking was added by some previous owner. It could be paint, or it might be a wax.

Best way to judge current value is looking at the sale and auction sites and seeing what they sell for. Not what is asked, but what they sell for...

Everything WWII related jumped in price with the 50th anniversary, and has jumped again after hit movies like Saving Private Ryan, etc.

I paid $300 for mine, back in the 80s, last time I looked, (many years ago) people were asking $800 for prime examples. No idea the going rate today, sorry.

Your 1911A1 was made in 1944. I would have to be able to look at it in person to know for sure, but I think it may have been refinished. When they were first produced the serial number was stamped after the finish was applied. As such, the serial number digits will show burnishing in the bottom of the numbers. The ordnance stamp to the rear of the grips on the RH side should be shiny if it still has the original finish. Very seldom will all the small parts have the exact same color and texture finish as the frame and slide.

Un-refinished 1944 Remington-Rand serial numbers. Notice how dark the base of the serial of the numbers are.
IMG_4031_Fotor-M.jpg

IMG_4029_Fotor-XL.jpg

Original Ithaca from 1943:
IMG_3765_Fotor-XL.jpg

IMG_3768_Fotor-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Your 1911 is in amazing condition. No expert here, but I've looked at many 1911s as they are one of my favorites. I've seen your gun in the same year, not as pristine, for $2,000.- $2,500. Keep it! They'll only go up in value. :)

Thanks

Thank you all for your input. That’s the first I heard about the deeper serial number markings. Either way it’s a keeper...especially since it cost me $300!

The one I have, my Dad bought for $35 in the 1960’s. It’s still in the box it came in. There is not enough money that would temp me to sell it. Last time it was shot I was a teenager. I’m 62 now. Looks brand new still.

Beautiful WWll 1911.

I have a Remington Rand with serial number 1589xxx that's in similar condition. I haven't heard the darker serial number item before for an original finish gun. The serial number on mine looks identical to yours in condition and on close inspection, the ordnance stamp does appear slightly "shiny". I paid $850 for mine in '99, from a dealer here in KY...not a steal by any means but considering its condition, I bought it.

All of that said, I don't see any dings or other signs of extended usage on yours. If these are present but appear to be filled clear to the bottom with parkerizing, you can assume a refinish has been done. I don't see any dings on your pistol whatsoever. I do agree that the white highlight was done by a previous owner (your Dad possibly) and is easily removable, if wanted. The minimal wear on the barrel chamber, trigger and no wear visible on the grip safety indicate to me that it seen minimal usage.

I'm a shooter, not a collector and mine gets a range day from time to time. It's got tight lockup and a fine HS bbl. that will confidently put all 7 into 2" @ 25 yds, with 200 gr. target grade LSWC's from a solid rest. Too, I especially like the shorter trigger on mine...it just fits me better than the longer ones. While some may complain that the sights are too small when compared with modern 1911's, I find them entirely useful for the gun's intended use, and don't hang up on a holster when drawing. High target sights were not needed in the slit trenches and bunkers of my misspent youth in Vietnam.

Best of luck with yours, and DON'T EVER SELL IT! I'd be interested in range results if and when you shoot it.

Rod

Last edited:
Beautiful WWll 1911.

I have a Remington Rand with serial number 1589xxx that's in similar condition. I haven't heard the darker serial number item before for an original finish gun. The serial number on mine looks identical to yours in condition and on close inspection, the ordnance stamp does appear slightly "shiny". I paid $850 for mine in '99, from a dealer here in KY...not a steal by any means but considering its condition, I bought it.

All of that said, I don't see any dings or other signs of extended usage on yours. If these are present but appear to be filled clear to the bottom with parkerizing, you can assume a refinish has been done. I don't see any dings on your pistol whatsoever. I do agree that the white highlight was done by a previous owner (your Dad possibly) and is easily removable, if wanted. The minimal wear on the barrel chamber, trigger and no wear visible on the grip safety indicate to me that it seen minimal usage.

I'm a shooter, not a collector and mine gets a range day from time to time. It's got tight lockup and a fine HS bbl. that will confidently put all 7 into 2" @ 25 yds, with 200 gr. target grade LSWC's from a solid rest. Too, I especially like the shorter trigger on mine...it just fits me better than the longer ones. While some may complain that the sights are too small when compared with modern 1911's, I find them entirely useful for the gun's intended use, and don't hang up on a holster when drawing. High target sights were not needed in the slit trenches and bunkers of my misspent youth in Vietnam.

Best of luck with yours, and DON'T EVER SELL IT! I'd be interested in range results if and when you shoot it.

Rod
Thanks for your time in Nam! I feel guilty. Volunteered for the Navy...24 years of it from 1974-1998, most as a Fleet Marine Force Corpsman, and never saw action.
Right before I signed up, a few guys came back to my home town from Vietnam. They had a lot to say about hordes of rats for one thing.

Your 1911A1 was made in 1944. I would have to be able to look at it in person to know for sure, but I think it may have been refinished. When they were first produced the serial number was stamped after the finish was applied. As such, the serial number digits will show burnishing in the bottom of the numbers. The ordnance stamp to the rear of the grips on the RH side should be shiny if it still has the original finish. Very seldom will all the small parts have the exact same color and texture finish as the frame and slide.
Un-refinished 1944 Remington-Rand serial numbers. Notice how dark the baseserial of the numbers are.

Very nice!

But you need to send that Safe Queen off to one of the custom shops and let them build it into a race gun for you.

Mil-spec is just, ... ah, boring. ;)

FunGramps, God bless ALL CORPSMAN! Our corpsman/medic at An Loc Special Forces Camp in lll Corp gave one of our grunts the 28 shot, Rabies series after a rat bite in the command bunker. The recipient commented that he'd risk rabies rather than do it again! And thanks for your service...Best Regards, Rod

FunGramps, God bless ALL CORPSMAN! Our corpsman/medic at An Loc Special Forces Camp in lll Corp gave one of our grunts the 28 shot, Rabies series after a rat bite in the command bunker. The recipient commented that he'd risk rabies rather than do it again! And thanks for your service...Best Regards, Rod
Thanks, and the same back at you brother!

Close up

Here is a close up of the serial number. Looks a little deeper than the rest. Also looks like there is a little finish coming off which may mean it was stamped after the fact?

Attachments

• 0E802030-C470-4A2D-A8DA-F9359A92D998.jpeg
    0E802030-C470-4A2D-A8DA-F9359A92D998.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 34
Back