Remington Rand 1911

Simmy952

Happen to come across this interesting specimen. Would any one have any information about it? Supposedly, the gold accents are 24k. Any info or price appraisal would be appreciated.

guns004.jpg

guns005.jpg

Looks like someone dressed up an old WW2 GI 1911A1. Value for polished up and over-the-top reblues like that seem to be in the $500-$600 range.

FWIW, 24kt Gold (including plating) is soft, and wears easily - as looks to be noticable on the RH sides of both the trigger and the mag release.

Somebody did a nice job on the polishing, it looks nice and flat. Considering the Remington Rand's are fairly valuable in stock shape the dressing up is taking a pretty hard hit on the price, like maybe cutting 2/3rds off. If it were mine I'd undo the gold and have it blued. The polishing and bluing is nice enough it might have more appeal like that.

That gold makes a lot of guys cringe, I'd like it all blued.

I'm about to cry. Just refinishing that gun would have been bad enough but this one was overpolished, blued, and pimped out with gold.:barf:

There was a shop in my home town that specialized in that sort of work.
They were very good at it, they could even mask off areas to get gold and blue on the same part. A revolver with the small parts and cylinder flutes gold and the balance shiny, shiny blue was kind of their specialty.
But that was years ago and now we know that what was cheap surplus then is really a Significant Historical Artifact and Valuable Collector's Item.

Back