Remington R51 Smoke!

Prof Young

Local auction had a Rem R51 that looked new. I guess it's called "smoke" because of the gray body parts. I researched it. The review were not glowing and apparently the first generation were jam-o-matics. But the second generation were "okay" so for $200 I took the chance.

Although it looked new, field stripping revealed that it had seen some rounds through it, but not many. And reassembling this thing is not a walk in the park.

It's rated for 9mm +p.

Finally got it to the range today. 65 rounds down range without a glitch of any kind. Shooting Remington UMC (not +p). At seven yards, when I worked at accuracy, I could get four rounds in a two inch circle. It has a grip safety. The recoil seemed harsh.

All in all I was pleased. So far, this is a good gun and if I didn't already have better carry choices I'd consider this.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Attachments

• R51.jpg
    R51.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 98
Hmmmmm . . .

In the video, it only shows putting the assembled slide back on the frame. That part is easy. It's putting the slide back together that is the fun part.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I wanted one of these so badly when they first released, but then the reviews rolled in and scared me off in a hurry...
I think the mistake was that they attempted to use an action that was designed for .32 ACP/.380 ACP in 9mm Luger.

I've heard that a Gen 2 revision fixed the issues the gun had with reliability and firing out of battery, but it seems that by that point the firearm's reputation was pretty well ruined. I recall seeing R51s selling for $150 at one point back in 2019 on Bud's because I was thinking about picking one up, but ended up getting a used Smith & Wesson Sigma instead for $199, make of that what you will.

Nevertheless, it's a nice-looking gun, aesthetically unique, and it's definitely collectable.

I have its granddaddy in .380 - nice quality gun and a good shooter.
No finish left on the slide, but that is due to the fact that my wife’s grandpa carried it from the 1920s through the 1940s while running his construction business here in Central Texas.

Attachments

• E2FAAC4D-EF4C-4A6C-AA04-A09EF910A08F.jpeg
    E2FAAC4D-EF4C-4A6C-AA04-A09EF910A08F.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 82
Back